Committing to the Fit: Measure, Sew, Repeat

March 31st, 2010 by Lacey Luce

By Amanda Fondriest

Betsy Munn & Andrea Cambern

Betsy Munn & Andrea Cambern

When we asked local celeb/WBNS-10TV anchor Andrea Cambern to emcee CCAD’s Fashion Show again, we decided to sweeten the deal. This year, Ms. Cambern will be wearing a one-of-a-kind, custom-tailored garment from CCAD senior fashion designer Betsy Munn.

Let me just say, Andrea has been a really good sport about the whole process. To ensure a perfect fit, she has to go through being poked and prodded and measured and fussed over for a number of sessions—measuring, blocking, fitting, refitting, and final touches. And if you’re as confused about all of this as I am, don’t worry. I’ve had a lot of help in breaking the process down.

Betsy Munn measures Andrea Cambern

Betsy Munn measures Andrea Cambern

During the first fitting, Andrea stood, arms out, while Fashion Design Chair Suzanne Cotton rattled off a list of 15 or so odd measurements for Betsy to take—around the neck, shoulder to shoulder, high shoulder to apex, center of shoulder to waist, etc. And, just as I began to figure out what most of that meant (I didn’t even know I had an apex, let alone where it is), Ms Cotton said “now, we’re going to start her back.” Wait, what?

Betsy Munn & Andrea Cambern

Betsy Munn & Andrea Cambern

Once all the measurements were taken, Betsy began blocking the dress. Think of blocking like this: she used a thin fabric to make a cast of Andrea’s body. Seems simple, right? Not quite. Betsy had to translate all those measurements we were talking about into a garment, one that is intended to fit perfectly over every inch of the human form. The block then had to be fitted to Andrea.

Up until show time, Betsy will finish crafting Andrea’s garment, meet with her for the first fitting, adjust, meet again for the final fitting, and—just when you’d think it would be done—there’s the inevitable meeting for final touches. Oh, and did I mention Betsy has two other garments walking the runway and another to finish by the end of the school year?

Rainbow Row, Charleston, SC

Rainbow Row, Charleston, SC

‘So, tell me about this garment?’ Well, I don’t want to give too much away, but I will tell you this—Betsy was inspired by Rainbow Row in Charleston, South Carolina. It’s a colorful row of Georgian homes that were transformed from neglected slum to pastel landmark in the 1930s. Interpret that as you may.

But, if you want to see firsthand the finished garment on the stunning Ms. Cambern, tickets for the May 8 event can be purchased at www.ccad.edu/fashion.

Until next time, cheers!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 Responses to “Committing to the Fit: Measure, Sew, Repeat”

1. Lacey says:

I cannot wait to see Cambern’s dress. She always looks so sleek.

2. Andrea Cambern says:

Thanks very much Lacey! I can’t wait to see it either. Betsy is doing an amazing job, and I’m having so much fun. Love working with the whole gang at CCAD.

3. Wow… really interesting blog… PLEASE keep on posting. Really interesting to see ‘behind the scenes’ info for us fashion wannabes :)