How a Fashion Show Changes the World

March 4th, 2010 by Amanda Fondriest

By Amanda Fondriest

Origins: CCAD's 2010 Fashion Show

When I was told to write a piece on the importance of our show, I realized that I only know what I have seen—namely fabulous pieces by our designers—and not much else. So Stephanie Hightower (she’s our VP of Institutional Advancement) and Suzanne Cotton (chair of the Fashion Design department) told me why they consider this show to be important. Here’s what I found out:

On one hand, the show is about our graduating seniors and their designs. They’re going out in style (pun entirely intended—I find it rather brilliant), and we want the world to notice.

So we’re raising a giant tent, filling it with photographers and other media folks, and squeezing in central Ohio’s most fashionable residents. Think New York Fashion Week without the expensive plane ticket, crowded hotels, and frigid February temperatures. Also in attendance will be representatives from The Limited, Abercrombie & Fitch, Victoria’s Secret, Express, Lane Bryant, and Tween Brands—all prospective employers for our designers.

We’re parading each designer’s cumulative knowledge down a 56-foot runway with 700 self-proclaimed fashion experts evaluating it. This is one fabulous final exam that you get to witness firsthand.

And for those who want to relive the event, a 30-minute television broadcast covering the show from every angle will air on WBNS-TV, ONN, and Time Warner On Demand (just think, you could be caught on camera).

However, if you couldn’t care less about pencil skirts and gowns, if gorgeous men in pleated tweed pants bore you, then you must be crazy then consider this: All proceeds from the show go to the CCAD general scholarship fund—the scholarship pool in which all incoming students swim.

Yes, your ticket grants you admission to the event, a glimpse at the best fashion that comes from CCAD, and the opportunity to rub elbows with some alumni who have made it big in the fashion industry. But there’s something else you should know.

Behind the scenes, your ticket purchase helps a Fine Arts major learn to weld, helps an Animation student bring a character to life, helps a photographer capture a moment.

The money you pay for your ticket goes directly to our students, helping people who may not have been able to afford a college education earn a bachelors of fine arts degree and start their careers. That’s why this is important.

At our core, we all desire to do good, to help others, to leave our footprints scattered all over the place (I, personally, anxiously wait for the day when my stiletto prints fade from DSW clearance to Jimmy Choo, but that’s neither here nor there).

The question I pose to you is this: will your prints stretch to the Origins tent? If so, tickets for the May 8 show are now on sale at www.ccad.edu/fashion.

Until next time, cheers!

Tags: , , , ,