Walk the Line

April 29th, 2010 by Amanda Fondriest

By Amanda Fondriest

The CCAD Senior Fashion Show is almost here. Tickets are sold out; the catalog is to press; and I’ve finally found my dress. All that’s left is for our models to complete runway boot camp, perfecting their walks and poses before the big May 8 show.

After the success of the makeover blog, I figured the best way to write this would be atop four-inch stilettos and a carefully constructed walk. But before the runway training even began, I tripped over my shoes, knocked over a mannequin, and stabbed myself with a pin as I tried to stand the mannequin upright … and there went that idea.

CCAD models practice walking the runway in their show shoes.

Things like this, I told myself, things that require a hint of sophistication, a smidge of grace, and a heap of balance and coordination are best left to the professionals—or to carefully selected amateurs who are being trained by a professional. So, I chucked the risk of public embarrassment and put my reporter hat back on, leaving the strutting and posing to the real models.

Karen Sigal is the runway expert to whom we give the responsibility of transforming 24 CCAD students into models. For the past 14 years, she and her company, Active Image, have been providing models for local powerhouse clients like Victoria’s Secret, Abercrombie & Fitch, Nationwide Insurance, The Diamond Cellar, and Wendy’s International. They’ve been in television commercials, in print, and on runways.

CCAD models practice "walking the line."

The Origins runway isn’t up yet; so for the time being, our models are strutting along a 30-foot piece of masking tape. “You’re whole life you’ve been walking on two lines,” Karen told the models. “Now, you’re going to walk on one.”

And this is where the plight of the model arises. Disregard how you’ve been walking your entire life. Keep your chin high, shoulders back, and core straight. Don’t smile, look at the audience, or lose stride. Pose when you reach the end of the runway, bending one leg and placing your hand or hands on your waist (that you get to choose). Give the garment some personality. Now, quick, tie this all together, and look hot while doing it.

If we’re not asking enough of them already, they’re sporting shoes that defy the laws of physics. Case and point: one model is wearing a pair of wedges, which are great in both theory and photographs but tend to make the whole heal-toe concept moot. Yet, she’s managing to keep not only a straight face, but her posture intact.

Our models have two more organized runway walks before the Senior Fashion Show. Then they’ll be doing it for real—in front of 700 strangers.  It’s a long way to the end of the runway; and when they get there, they’ll pose while Fashion Wire Press captures the look. Once they are done, they’ll quickly change into their other garment and repeat the whole process. Let the nerves begin now.

The next time you hear from me will be after the show. In the meantime, set your DVR for 7 p.m.,  May 15,  channel 10 (WBNS) and see  CCAD’s primetime debut.

Cheers!

Tags: ,