Oh Yeah, CCAD Worked It

May 8th, 2010 by Lacey Luce

For the last couple of months you’ve heard from each of us as we have delved into all the different facets of what makes the CCAD Senior Fashion Show tick. The event has come and gone and these are our final words …

Melissa Ricksecker: The event isn’t really over for me yet. There are hundreds of photos to go through, reporters to follow up with, and, oh, yeah … did I mention we are doing a TV show?

runway

Talented CCAD students on the runway.

I know, tonight I’ll crash exhausted on the sofa. It’s been a long day and a lot of work, but there is something about the energy of the fashion show that just makes it fly. For now I’m still flying, and enjoying the flight!

Last year my main duty at the event was as liaison to the press and the many photographers.This year I spent the day mostly chasing after our film crew. The media folks were in the capable hands of Ritter Hoy and Apryl Ehmann from MediaSource. They have also set up a media center on the MediaSource website, which is an amazing online resource center set up to get reporters and bloggers everything they could need to augment their stories.

One thing stayed the same this year—as the lights went down and music began to pulse, I found myself fighting back tears. Like a mother watching her baby take her first steps, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of pride. These students have worked so hard and are so talented and to see all of that talent come together … well … I just hope no one saw me with mascara on my cheeks.

Be sure to tune in next Saturday (May 15) to WBNS 10TV at 7 p.m., for CCAD’s big encore.

Amanda Fondriest: Today was a day. A long, wonderful, these shoes are killing me sort of day.

I got up at 5 a.m., had some coffee, and ate a hearty bacon and egg breakfast—none of which is too abnormal for a girl born and raised on a farm in Dover, Ohio. But then … I went to a fashion show.

Granted, I was working, and I had to be here at 7 a.m., and I was wearing shoes that would certainly blister my feet. But today, I wasn’t 21-years old, wishing for my next cup of coffee. Today, I was 7, dreaming of models on the runway.

Inside the tent the audience is hooked into the creativity and imagination that thrives on this campus.

This is what happens at the fashion show.  People inside the tent aren’t concerned about their bills, their next meal, or the weather. Fashion lover or not, they’re hooked into the creativity and imagination that thrives on this campus, which is where we’ve been for the past five months.  Hooked.

Everything we have done so far was for this. That moment when we get to see the audience smile as the models turn the corner. Our efforts were rewarded by the points and whispers, the man unknowingly bobbing his head to the music, and the woman sporting a designer dress that only belongs at a runway show.

We plan this event around our dreams. We channel the 7-year old girl in all of us to make sure that not only she is satisfied but that our guests leave with their imaginations reeling, creativity captured, and inspiration intact.

The dreamer in me reemerged during today’s show—and I can’t imagine I’m the only one.

Andrea Cambern, CCAD President Denny Griffith and Alumni Fashion Icon Edward Buchanan

Lacey Luce: My colleagues have waxed poetic on the event—from the energy of the crowd, to the tear-inducing wonder of the runway show.  A highlight for me was a speech. While a speech is not normally what gets me weepy, the speech given by our Alumni Fashion Icon recipient, Edward Buchanan was memorable. He was funny, warm, and thoughtful. My only regret is that he heads back to Milan and can’t spend more time with us. Another highlight was Ms. Andrea Cambern. She looked amazing in the dress by CCAD fashion designer Betsy Munn and she was, as always, a delight.

Today, as I looked around in awe at the transformation of our campus I found myself thinking again about how it all came together. I’m like that. I like to peak behind the curtain and see who’s pulling the levers. That sound familiar? Then this is for you.

Sure it’s fun, at first, to go with the feeling that little elves wave their magic wands and suddenly there are tents, linens, flowers, hors d’oeuvres and more—events should be magical. But for some of us natural curiosity sets in.

installing the main tent for the fashion show

The main tent is 82-feet wide and 115-feet long.

We want to know just how ginormous is the big tent—a whopping 82-feet wide by 115-feet long.

How is it installed? After arriving on a flat bed truck, it takes 12 people, two days and they have to drill 100 holes into the parking lot (that’s how it survives hurricane-like winds)—try camping with that.

How did they get all that fabulous furniture into the brunch space? We had to wrap everything up on pallets then use a forklift to drive it up the ramp to the space.

Are permits needed? Oh yes. Lots of them. And, inspections too.

A few other nuts & bolts fun facts: The runway is 56 feet long (not including the stage), 2200 feet of flooring is laid down for the Designer Ticket section, electricity is fed to the main tent with diesel powered generators—to supply juice for lights, cameras, music, and countless hair dryers.

Even though it doesn’t happen via magic wand, the event is still magical. From the minute the lights go down and the music starts, to that last parade of designs down the runway—Magic.

Please go back to the fashion show event page and see our list of sponsors–the elves that make the event magic. Also check out the designers, the creative magicians who make the event.

Tags: ,

One Response to “Oh Yeah, CCAD Worked It”

1. FWP says:

2010 CCAD Senior Fashion Show on Fashion Wire Press
    http://fashionwirepress.com/imageList.php?collectionId=814