Meet Chelsea Mummert, Outstanding Animation Senior

May 6th, 2011 by Amanda Fondriest

Animation major Chelsea Mummert was named the 2011 Outstanding Senior for her department.

At the end of the academic year, a graduating senior from each major is named the Outstanding Senior for that department. Today in part five of our 10-part series, we interviewed senior Chelsea Mummert (CCAD 2011), who was named Outstanding Senior for the Animation department.

Q.) Describe a particular thing you learned at CCAD that didn’t make sense to you at first, but that you realized later “Oh, that’s what that meant!”
A.) I would say a lot of things I learned foundation year fits into this category. For example, the project where we had to put three black squares on a white page. I realize it was the simplest form of composition, balance and hierarchy, something that I consider for each scene of animation.

Q.) What’s the ultimate dream job?  Or goal? Basically, when will you be able to sit back and say ‘I’ve made it’?
A.) When I am working in a major animation studio like Pixar or Disney as a part of their core team!

Q.) Why is it important as an alum to continue giving back to your alma mater?
A.) I think it is important for students to hear from us because we come from the same background. When Mike Altman (who was recently tapped as spring 2011 commencement speaker) came to talk to us after landing a job at Pixar, it really made me feel like it was all possible.

Q.) Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”
A.) When I can sit at my computer for hours at a time and it only feels like a few minutes has passed. Then there are moments when I look at my work and am amazed to think to myself, I made that! It just amazes me what can be accomplished with passion and dedication.

Q.) What smell, word, object, or whatever always reminds you of your time here as a student?
A.) I would say Hounddogs pizza reminds me of my time here because of all of the times I spent there with my closest friends through all hours of the night. It’s a place you don’t go to for the service but the pizza is amazing!

Q.) If you can describe what graduating feels like in one word (okay, one sentence), what would it be?
A.) It’s like the end of a very intense training program and the beginning of a very long and beautiful dream come true.

Q.) Finish the sentence. I hope future CCAD students …
A.) Take their time here seriously and get the most out of their experiences because now is the time to grow and experiment. I also hope that they are not afraid to challenge their teachers or push the “limits” of creativity.

Learn more about Chelsea on her website.

4 Responses to “Meet Chelsea Mummert, Outstanding Animation Senior”

1. Barb Mummert says:

Awesome! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments over the last 4 years! Focus has been one of your primary concerns from day one. I couldn’t be more proud of you.

2. Brett Haupricht says:

SWEEEEET Congrats Chelsea way to set minor goals to capture the Ultimate situation, A JOB YOU ENJOY.

3. Tom says:

Congrats Chelsea! Enjoyed working with you over the past few years. You’ve set yourself up well for life after CCAD. Can’t wait to see that finished film. Keep in touch.

4. [...] Outstanding Senior [...]