Meet Jordan Edwards, Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior

May 11th, 2011 by Amanda Fondriest

Senior Jordan Edwards was named the 2011 Outstanding Senior for Advertising & Graphic Design.

At the end of the academic year, a graduating senior from each major is named the Outstanding Senior for that department. Today in part eight of our 10-part series, we interviewed senior Jordan Edwards (CCAD 2011), who was named Outstanding Senior for the Advertising & Graphic Design department.

Q.) What was your biggest achievement while studying here?
A.) Being Outstanding Senior is great—don’t get me wrong—I love this, and I’m very proud of it. But I really liked seeing how the Student Programming Board has grown. I started with them my sophomore year. We did a few small events here and there and some people would come. Obviously Big Boo! was kind of our shining achievement. But this year we’ve really been taking on a new structure, we have a really great team, and our events have really started to get a lot of attention. So I’m glad that I got to be involved with that and see what it has become.

Q.) Did you ever have that feeling of “ugh, why do I have to learn this” that eventually led to, “wow, this is so important?”
A.) Color Concept. I remember going into class and being like, “Color concept?!? I know how to mix colors, I already know what this is.” But I really didn’t understand all the intricacies of it and how you can use colors to affect the mood of the piece. So I think that’s the stuff that I employ the most that I thought was the most bogus at the time.

Editors Note: at this point in the interview Director of Career Services Cynthia Gravino came to table. “He’s awesome. Seriously, quote me. This kid is awesome.”

Q.) You’ve landed some really big projects. How’d you do that?
A.) Mostly, it’s just badgering the right person.  One of the big projects I’m working on now is Leakycon, a Harry Potter fan conference that is being held in Orlando this summer. The group that planned the conference held another one in 2009 that I went to and after I left I said, “I have to be a part of this somehow.” And, you know, you start following the right people on Twitter, and you pester them—and pester them, and pester them—and then finally they’ll say, “okay, fine.” I started out as just a graphic designer but have now risen up and am now creative director for the whole conference, which means I’m leading a team of other designers to make everything for the conference.

Q.) The dream job. Everyone has one. What’s yours?
A.) My ultimate goal is to head to California and work for Walt Disney Imagineering. That’s my long time, pie-in-the-sky dream. My parents took me to Walt Disney World when I was five, and I didn’t know what Imagineering was, but I knew that it was really cool that somebody got to make this stuff for their job. It’s always been floating around in the back of my mind, but I never took it seriously until I came here and realized that this is a legitimate possibility and I am learning the stuff now that it takes to get there.

Q.) What’re you going to miss the most?
A.) The community of support. If you’re working on a piece, there is this huge group of people you can tap into for inspiration, support, and motivation. There will always be teams in the future, but we’ve got a pretty strong group here, and I will miss it tremendously.

Q.) If you could go back and tell your 17 year old self anything about CCAD, what would it be?
A.) You’re going to learn more than you ever thought you would. You’re going to meet people who are so similar to you that it is scary, and they are going to be your best friends. And you’re going to get opportunities that you’ll never get again. You’re going to love it—so don’t be scared.

Q.) Finish the sentence. Graduating feels like…
A.) Ripping off the Band Aid. It’s going to be painful, but once it’s off, it’ll be really gratifying.

Learn more about Jordan on his website.

Tags: , , , ,

12 Responses to “Meet Jordan Edwards, Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior”

1. Justine Santschi says:

Congratulations, Jordan. Even in fourth grade you showed incredible talent. I have watched and admired your creations. The company which hires you will be getting not only a talented professional but a great person as well.

2. Mark Tingley says:

Hi Jordan- just read your interview- congratulations! I hope I’m able to watch some Disney animation soon with your name in the credits- good luck with you career and thanks for all you have done for Buckeye Valley

3. Erica Ott says:

Congrats Jordan! You are such a rockstar in everything that you do. It has been a pleasure working with you in SPB and you will truly be missed. I wish you the best of luck with your future and keep in touch!

4. Marsha Edwards says:

Congratulations Jordan! Dad and I are so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. From the time you were old enough to hold a crayon and ask dad to help you draw fire engines and stop signs we knew you were destined for great things. Dream big! Love you :)

5. Emily Edwards says:

Wow. You are graduating college. I remember the day we dropped you off at your dorm to start your freshman year. Now you are ready to start on a new adventure. Thank you for being such an inspiration for me. Your success motivated me to live up to your example. The real world is scary, but I know that you will do great in everything you do. Congratulations!

6. Angie Osborne says:

Congratulations! “Outstanding” is the perfect word to describe you, Jordan! Not only do you have amazing talent, but you’ve managed to keep a level head all along. I am so proud of you and I can’t wait to see what great things you have yet to do. Somewhere along the line, you must have had a great teacher! ;)

7. April Waters says:

Congratulations Jordan. It seems just yesterday you were the “Baby Buda” But we all knew you were destined for greatness. Sally would be so very proud.

8. Dwayne Todd says:

We’re sprout of your great accomplishments, Jordan, and for the ways you’ve made CCAD a better place for fellow students. You have a ton of talent and I look forward to seeing where it takes you!

9. Dwayne Todd says:

Btw, “sprout” = “so proud”. Dumb auto-correct. LOL

10. May Parrott says:

Jordan, I am soooo proud of you. We all knew you would do a wonderful job at CCAD and you certainly will also do a wonderful job in whatever job you go into!!!

11. Robin Clay says:

Congratulations Jordan! I am so happy and not at all surprised you have done so well at CCAD. It is wonderful to see your Disney dream is still alive…I am sure it will be yours! Best wishes!

12. David Waselko says:

Great work, Jordan. Anyone who saw you work in HS knew this is what you were meant to do. Good luck with Disney.