The CCAD Art Sale is Coming!

November 29th, 2011 by Katlin McNally

CCAD’s bi-annual Art Sale is right around the corner. Students, alumni, and faculty & staff are gearing up to sell their artwork, and we decided to take a moment and check in with a few regular Art Sale customers and ask about what they have found at past sales.

Griffith's tiny ceramic mug

Of course, our first stop was CCAD President Dennison W. Griffith. He’s a regular attendee who has been coming for the past 23 years (which is way before he was our president).

“I love seeing our students and returning alumni,” Griffith said. “It is always great to see exceptional art and I am always on the lookout for really distinctive and unusual photography, which my wife Beth and I collect.”

Griffith’s most memorable purchase, so far: a tiny ceramic mug that stands nearly one-and-a-half inches tall.

Mayor Michael Coleman, a well known face in the community, can often be spotted roaming the tables at the CCAD Art Sales.

Last spring he picked up a couple of beautiful paintings from CCAD student artists. He has attended the show six times, and this year he hopes to get in early for a first look at the unique treasures the Art Sale boasts.

“I will definitely be attending and look forward to seeing the marvelous creativity of our artists,” Coleman said.

CCAD faculty and staff know what to expect from the art sale and take full advantage of it. CCAD web manager Lacey Luce has been coming for more than 10 years.

“I always find something unexpected and there is always an impulse buy. Last spring I went for jewelry, which I got and love, but I also stumbled upon a zombie tote bag. Of course I had to buy it—who wouldn’t.”

Whether you walk away with a mug, painting, jewelry, or a zombie tote, the CCAD Holiday Art Sale will have plenty of treasures waiting to be found!

The CCAD Art Sale is Saturday, Dec. 3, in CCAD’s Loann Crane Center for Design. Doors open at 9 a.m. with first choice admission ($50). General admission ($5) starts at 10:30. The sale is open until 2 p.m. All sales proceeds go directly to the artists, admissions fees fund student scholarships. Parking is free in CCAD lots.

Tags: , , , ,