Introducing the 2012 Senior Collection Theme and More

February 21st, 2012 by Kristen Foley

Working in the CCAD Fashion Design lab.

My name is Kristen Foley and, as of today, I am joining the CCAD fashion show blogging team. When I was first asked to blog for the annual senior fashion show I was giddy at the thought of  working this fabulous event (since it always sells out!), and I was elated at the idea of getting a personal behind-the-scenes introduction to the true stars of the show, the senior designers.

As I prepared for my first visit to the Fashion Design lab, I was reminded of one of my favorite quotes that the lovely, albeit daunting, CoCo Chanel once shared.

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”

Working in the CCAD Fashion Design lab.

Fashion is everywhere. It defines your sense of style, varies with the times; and, ultimately, the choices you make in fashion showcase who you are at your core.

The fashion illuminated in this show represents the vision of the senior designers, but the looks also share a common theme. Each student was charged with choosing a muse from the fine art world—a painting and a sculpture from the same period (but they had to choose artists who were working before 1950).

While the senior designers were already several months into their preparations for the event, I was still able to witness the conception and birth of several designs during my visit to their studio last week. Each designer’s approach is unique and the garments range from evening gowns to men’s wear and children’s wear.

The planning stages.

Some collections, with their bold patterns and rich colors, instantly shouted the connection to the chosen muse, while others hinted at their muse with subtle whispers. What was evident throughout was the sheer passion of the students as they worked on their designs.

Suzanne Cotton, chair of the fashion design department, shared with me that this truly is the students’ chance to shine. After graduation, many students may go on to work for top name fashion companies but they will then have to adopt the fashion philosophies of that business. There would be little room for interpretation. Right now, they get do their own thing.

As I toured the space I also noticed that some of the pieces were more evolved than others. With each student working on a collection of up to six garments, I saw several garments near completion, with shoes and accessories to match, while others were being cut from patterns or waiting on ordered fabric. Several designers sheepishly admitted that they were extremely critical of their own work and had started fresh on a new design or with a different fabric.

While the fashion show may seem like it’s months away to those of us who only have to happily await the final results, the time remaining for the students to not only finish, but perfect their designs is quickly ticking away. I’m excited to see the evolution of these amazing pieces over the next few weeks and even more eager to share my experience with all of you.

If you haven’t already, be sure to get your tickets while they are still available at the advanced purchase price. Trust me, you’ll want to see the final designs when they come down the runway.

Tags: , ,