It’s Photo Shoot Sunday at CCAD

February 26th, 2012 by Lacey Luce

CCAD Fashion Show Photo Shoot

Overheard: I’m going down to grab the pasties, I’ll be right back.

Let me put that in a little context for you. It’s early afternoon on a Sunday, and I am at the photo shoot for the CCAD fashion show.

Those who have been to the main event may remember that we produce a gorgeous (yes I’m biased) magazine-style lookbook. Today we create the photography that makes that book amazing.

By we I mean everyone but me. I get to sit back and observe, and kind of goof around—did I mention I love my job?

I’m perched in the photo studio at CCAD.  It’s pretty much how you would imagine a professional photography studio. Lots of backdrops, props, massive lights and other equipment (which remains a mystery to me), and music. I don’t know who set the Pandora station but he/she is my new favorite person.

Downstairs, in a classroom, models go through hair and  make up. Then up here in the studio they get routed through four set ups, where they continue to be fussed with and then, eventually shot.

I’m not going to lie, photo shoots, like so many other things in life, are only fun for an observer for about an hour (at most). This is work people, and as such it can be a little repetitive—and there’s a lot of hurry up and wait. Fortunately I’ve got this blog to keep me busy.

Side note: between the strobes and the flashes going off I’m amazed people don’t randomly have seizures during photo shoots. I’m pretty sure I’m going home with an eye twitch.

There’s one thing happening this year that is different from years past. All the photography is being done by CCAD photography students. You will come to realize that every creative aspect of the fashion show event, from fashion design, to photography, to graphic design, is the result of CCAD talent.  There is a practical advantage to tapping into our own talent pool as well as a creative one. With multiple photographers working simultaneously the shoot is more efficient—which means that by the time you read this I’ll probably be writing snarky tweets about the Oscars.

Throughout the shoot I kept waiting for there to be a five-inch heel related accident. But other than a blowing a circuit, the drama was provided only by the garments. There are some photos below, but I tried not to give too much away. If you want to see more you will need to get yourself a ticket.

One more thing to mention, I took these photos of real photographers taking photos. So, adjust your expectations accordingly.

That’s a wrap people.

Tags: , , ,