Shaken and Stirred: The Fashion Show Custom Cocktail Unveiled

February 14th, 2012 by Lacey Luce

The 2012 Senior Fashion Show yet-to-be-named custom cocktail featuring OYO stone fruit vodka.

Plenty of jobs may drive you to drink, but only a handful will ASK you to.

Today I was tasked with tasting cocktails.

Don’t hate. This doesn’t happen often (I swear). Today’s tasting came about courtesy of the charming gents of Middle West Spirits, who have been working with us to develop a special cocktail for the 2012 Senior Fashion Show event on May 11.

If you are not familiar with Middle West Spirits I encourage you to check them out. A local micro distillery, MWS is the maker of OYO vodkas and whiskey, which have been getting some well-deserved local, regional, and national press. FYI: they do weekly public tours and tastings. I’ve been, and you will never see a group of people more passionate about what they do—plus, TASTING!

Anyways, back to the matter at hand. Today we tasted two distinctly different cocktails, both of which featured the newest member of the OYO family—stone fruit vodka. I could describe it for you but frankly MWS does a better job:

OYO Stone Fruit presents a soft, sweet nose with fragrant floral notes of apricot and wildflowers. The spirit itself has a medium-full body, rich with flavors of tart cherry and citrus peel. The bright tart-cherry anchors the spirit’s center, and is gently rounded with the slightest note of almond, which finishes smoothly into an homage to Ohio’s sweet yellow peach. The spirit coats the tongue from front to back, with closing notes that are minerally and complex, balancing both sweet and tart in perfect harmony.”

Because I am a professional and take my job seriously, I insisted on tasting the vodka on its own first—love, love, love. If you are like me and prefer your drinks without mixers, the stone fruit vodka joins the OYO honey vanilla vodka as a wonderful, smooth, subtle spirit that begs to be served simply over ice.

Two drinks. One choice.

With that said, the two cocktails Josh from MWS mixed were so heavenly that we were faced with a Sophie’s choice. In  the end we chose one that includes fresh orange juice, hibiscus simple syrup, and is topped off with Champagne. It’s refreshing and not overwhelmingly sweet; and, well, fashion and Champagne seem to belong together.

So we have a signature cocktail for the night. What we don’t have is a name for it. Any Suggestion? Submit them here and we’ll seriously consider them.

In the meantime, get your tickets now while the advance purchase offer is still in play. Not only will our new custom cocktail be available but Middle West Spirits will be doing tastings in the main tent.

Well, it’s been fun, but now I’ve got stuff to do. First I need to go talk to someone about setting up my night-of blogging station in the main tent next to our new BFFs MWS. Then I need to step out to run an errand—I might need a bottle of the stone fruit vodka for my collection (which is at home, not at work. I swear).