Spring Is Here, and So Is the Art Sale

April 6th, 2012 by Katlin McNally

Earrings created by Mark Burleigh

The CCAD Spring Art Sale is here again and not only are we getting excited, but our vendors are also waiting with anticipation to show off their hard work. On April 14, 2012 more than 100 students, alumni, faculty & staff will sell their work in the Loann Crane Center for Design on April 14, 2012.

The sale provides an excellent way for visitors to purchase unique artwork produced by the talent at CCAD. An array of items can be found including jewelry, paintings, ceramics, glass, scarves, clothing, prints, homemade cards, and much more. CCAD artists and designers prep for the sale weeks in advance and are already set to go.

Mark Burleigh, assistant professor and Advertising & Graphic Design alumnus, will be selling silver and metal jewelry including earrings, brooches, pendants, and bracelets.

“This will be my second time participating in the CCAD Art Sale, and I am excited not only to sell my work, but also to show students and faculty a new side of me,” Burleigh said.

"Tuk," an illustration by Isuri Hewage

Burleigh has been working with silver for the past 30 years. He began after attending a Revolutionary War reenactment and talking to a silversmith there who sparked his interest. Burleigh regularly works with antique  hand-hammered silver and beads that were used for trade in the early 19th century.

“I will take a 200-year-old trade bead and wrap it in silver to create a bracelet,” Burleigh said.  “I like mixing these separate eras and worlds. I think it is important to have a piece that tells a story.”

CCAD Illustration senior Isuri Merenchi Hewage will be selling prints of her illustrations at the sale. This is her third art sale, and she has gotten the routine down pat.

“I think vendors get a lot of good exposure by selling work at the sale,” Hewage said. “I like seeing what artwork other artists have brought, and I get the chance to meet new people who are interested in art, just like I am.”

The CCAD Spring Art Sale begins at 9 a.m. with first choice admission ($50) and general admission ($5) beginning at 10:30 a.m. Click here for more information on the sale.

Tags: , , , , , , ,