Meet CCAD Outstanding Senior Christopher Ryan Evans

May 11th, 2012 by Katlin McNally

Christopher Ryan Evans, 2012 Outstanding Senior

At the end of the academic year, CCAD deans present the Outstanding Seniors for their divisions.  Today, we conclude our 10-part Outstanding Senior series with Media Studies major Christopher Ryan Evans.

Q) What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

A) My final project. I am doing a stop-motion film, and it combines everything that I have learned from the structure of the story from start to finish to learning what drives a plot. It showed me that the basics and fundamentals you learn are important, including color concept, painting, drawing…everything.

Q) What scared you the most while you were at CCAD?

A) Getting stuff done on time. I always try to push the envelope and take on more then I should. I like to step out of the safe zone, and I had to learn to balance what I am supposed to be learning with challenging myself, which sometimes made deadlines difficult.

Q) What are your plans after graduation?

A) I want to work in the movie industry. This may mean I need to weasel myself from camera operator on up, but I know that’s the direction I want to go. I have been looking at motion a design firm in Columbus, and there are a couple areas in North Carolina I may go. Going to grad school at USC is also on my radar, so we’ll see.

Q) What’s your ultimate dream job or goal?

A) Directing and making my own movies and being paid for my own creative work.

Q) Why is it important as an alumnus to give back to CCAD?

A) This school is responsible for so much talent, and it really guides every student coming in here. I think that it should be a cornerstone of everyone’s career, and it is important to give back to the CCAD family to show that.

Q) Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”

A) When everything is done—when you finally finish a project or meet a deadline. It’s also when you work on a project and you realize that you are applying exactly what you learned in class or in your foundation year; when you look at the results and you see everything coming together, that is definitely an ‘I nailed it’ moment.

Q) What smell, word, or whatever will always remind you of your time as a student?

A) Paint, I just envision all the paint in front of me at the studios.

Q) What will you miss the most?

A) The drawing and painting. I’ll miss having all the materials sitting right in front of me and readily available.

Q) If you can describe what graduating feels like in one word or sentence what would it be?

A) The first step.

Q) What was your favorite class at CCAD?

A) My drawing classes, especially with Doug Norman and Djahangir Pirasteh. They were the first people when I came here who were really inspirational to me. They brought me to where I want to be in those skills, and they taught their classes very professionally. There was no doodling with them.

Q) What did you like to do during your free time?

A) I like to spend a lot of time outdoors, and of course movies, movies, movies, movies like crazy.

Q) What is your fondest memory at CCAD?

A) Getting parking tickets—I know that’s not the fondest, but it is something I’ll remember. My first semester here I didn’t want to buy a parking pass, thinking I wouldn’t get tickets, but I did (laughs).

Q) What would you change about your undergraduate career?

A) I wish I would have found out which major and niche I wanted to pursue quicker. I didn’t know if I wanted to aim toward animation, storyboarding, or what.

Q) What is your advice to future CCAD students?

A) Find a group of friends who are focused and driven and stick with them, they will help you accomplish a lot.

Tags: , , , , , ,

One Response to “Meet CCAD Outstanding Senior Christopher Ryan Evans”

1. Wayne says:

Good job Ryan!

Not only did you stick with getting the assignments completed, but excelled among your peers and instructors.

Great achievement, hope you go far.