Meet CCAD Outstanding Senior Kattie Baker

May 2nd, 2012 by Katlin McNally

Kattie Baker, 2012 Outstanding Senior

At the end of the academic year, CCAD deans present the Outstanding Seniors for their divisions. Today, in part three of our 10-part Outstanding Senior series, meet Advertising & Graphic Design major Kattie Baker.

Q) What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

A) My junior year my group and I won the Victoria’s Secret package design contest, that was probably my proudest moment. You get acknowledgement and praise from peers and faculty, but to have this large, well-known company reward you is definitely a proud moment.

Q) What scared you the most while you were at CCAD?

A) When I had to take an Adobe Creative Suite class my sophomore year. I hadn’t used any of the programs before, so I was immediately overwhelmed thinking it was an intense, scary software.

Q) What are your plans for after graduation?

A) Careerwise I want to be able to do web design or graphic design. I am also finishing up working at Fulcrum Creatives as an intern.

Q) What is your ultimate dream job? Or goal?

A) I would love to be working for a mid-sized company. I feel that at larger companies you often have to work with the same clients over and over again, and I want to have room to play as a designer and creative. A company I would love to work for is Resource Interactive, a digital marketing agency in Columbus.

Q) Why is it important as an alumna to continue to give back to your alma mater?

A) I think you need to help out people who used to be you. As an alumna, you know how hard it is and what they are going through, and I think it’s good to offer the same help and support that you had when you were a student.

Q) Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”

A) I think it happened as early as my freshman year. I originally started out at Capitol University studying to become an English teacher, but then I realized that this side, extracurricular art class I was taking meant a lot more to me then my core classes, so I turned to CCAD. I realized then what I wanted to be doing.

Q) What smell, word, or whatever will  remind you of your time here as a student?

A) Rubber cement and quarters. In Advertising & Graphic Design we didn’t deal with too many of the smelly chemicals that other majors did, but rubber cement I will remember. Quarters became to mean so much more then 25 cents, too; we used them for printing, so if I lost one I would always think, “Oh no, there goes a print.”

Q) What will you miss the most?

A) The freedom. As a student you have faculty and staff telling you what to do when it comes to homework and such, but you really have this ultimate freedom to do whatever you want, you are your own boss.

Q) If you can describe what graduating feels like in one word what would it be?

A) Sleep. I will finally be able to sleep. If there was a carrot dangling at the end of a stick it would definitely be the idea of sleeping, finally, without any more all-nighters.

Q) What was your favorite class at CCAD?

A) It would probably be those quirky side classes that I took. For instance, the Photoshop class. We had small, fun projects, and we would learn these tiny tricks that made me think, “Wait, that was there the whole time?!” Those classes would break up the large ones where we had big, intense projects.

Q) What did you like to do during your free time?

A) When I had free time during school I would never know what to do with myself! I do like to run and ultimately be outside. I think I was supposed to live in Texas, though; this Ohio weather that is under 60 degrees doesn’t cut it. But I definitely try to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.

Q) What is your fondest CCAD memory?

A) I have a memory, not sure if it is my fondest, but it would probably be my double whammy X-acto knife accident. I sliced my fingers when working one day, and in reaction I clenched my fists and pulled them onto my knees in pain, only to realize the X-acto knife was sill in my hand, stabbing my knee. Yep, only a few people know about that one, and those who were there still remind me!

Q) If you could go back to college what would you change?

A) I would be more relaxed with myself. I am a perfectionist by nature, which definitely made me stress more. They say there is a triangle model, with its three points being good grades, sleep, and a social life, and you can only pick two. Looking back, I feel like I only had the good grades portion entirely, so I would have just loosened up during my time here.

Q) What advice would you give to future students?

A) There are two sets of advice. For people like myself who are perfectionists, I would tell them to stop trying so hard and don’t fret about the details of a project or assignment. For others I would say the opposite: don’t slack off. CCAD is full of people with natural talent, so I love to see them push themselves and work hard to get amazing results.

2 Responses to “Meet CCAD Outstanding Senior Kattie Baker”

1. LeAnn Calhoun says:

Wow, Congrats Kattie, so proud of you and all that you have achieved in life. P.S. Sleep is over-rated, lol, jk.

2. Mamaw Calhoun says:

I am so very, very proud of you “Sweet Mae.” My talents were art as well as writing. During my younger years, it was always art, but now I have come to love writing. I am so glad you went with your talent and extended yourself into perfecting it at CCAD. I accomplished what was meant for me with my art, but ended up with my writings. I feel this was what I was meant to do. May your destination be as sweet and rewarding as mine has been. Love you Always. Mamaw C.