Five Great CCAD Talents Head Off to Retirement

June 18th, 2012 by Lacey Luce

Ed Lathy, Bill Hunt, Richard Aschenbrand, and Carl Garant at the Teaching Excellence Award ceremony.

The end of this school year was bittersweet as five members of the CCAD family (including three deans) retired from the college.

Deans Richard Aschenbrand, Carl Garant, and Edward Lathy have given a collective 126 years to CCAD. In addition to the deans, faculty Steven Botts and Bill Hunt also joined the ranks of retirees.

Richard Aschenbrand has served CCAD for 45 years. He joined the faculty in 1967 and became dean of Visual Communications in 1995. He has taken on a variety of roles at the college, from gallery manager to director of arts and grants. In addition to his CCAD work, Aschenbrand has maintained a robust graphic design business and schedule of exhibitions and guest lectures.

Carl Garant bestows an Outstanding Senior award.

Carl Garant joined the CCAD faculty in 1974 and became dean of Industrial and Interior Design in 1991. After 38 years with the college (where he is known affectionately as Big Dog), he retires having authored three books and dozens of academic papers on design, in addition to his countless hours working with students. The Industrial Designers Society of America honored Garant with its 2005 National Educators Award.

Ed Lathy joined CCAD’s faculty in 1969 and became dean of Liberal Arts in 1981. He has taught courses in writing, criticism, and metaphor and the arts, as well as serving numerous academic leadership roles during his 43 years at the college. Lathy has presented papers regionally and nationally on post-modern criticism and symbolism in writing. He is also a jazz drummer (and in that capacity is fondly known as Fast Eddie).

Ed Lathy at the 2012 Teaching Excellence Awards

Steven Botts is a CCAD alumnus (1970) who graduated with a degree in Illustration and went on to teach in that major.  In addition to his teaching career, Botts has maintained a successful freelance illustration business. His client list includes Bank One, Ross Labs, 20th Century Fox, Ohio Historical Society, Warner Communications, Zaner-Bloser, and numerous other educational publishers.

Professor Bill Hunt has balanced his professional ceramics work with full-time teaching in the Fine Arts and Graduate Studies departments. His studio work has been represented in numerous national and international exhibitions and collections, including the permanent collections of the Saga (Japan) Prefectural Art Museum, the American Museum of Ceramic Art, the Taipei Fine Arts Museum, and the Canton Museum of Art, as well as in a variety of books and magazines. Hunt also has extensive experience as a curator, editor, and writer in the art and craft fields.

The retirees were honored at the 2012 Teaching Excellence Award (TEA) reception, which was capped by the announcement of this year’s recipient, Liberal Arts Assistant Professor Ariana-Sophia Kartsonis.

In addition, the deans were awarded honorary doctorates during the 2012 commencement ceremony.

Richard teaching a class at CCAD

Vice President of Academic Affairs Kevin Conlon underscored the impact each dean had on his department.

“Richard Aschenbrand is known for his energy, commitment, and passion about no-compromise design, and he’s literally inspired generations of students here at CCAD. Alumni consistently ask about Richard because, whether they loved him or hated him, they learned from him. The continuing quality of the programs he supervised was evidenced in this past year’s work, and those major’s continuing growth is a testament to the hiring, guidance, and development of the faculty that he recruited over the last several years.”

“Carl Garant has been impressive as a force within both Industrial and Interior Design for several years, looking for creative ways to integrate those two majors while at the same time offering other majors across the college the opportunity to understand “Big D” design. It’s not just making things that matters to him, but a way of thinking about problem-seeking and problem-solving.  His way of thinking about design—manifested most recently in his biomimicry course—and the partnerships that he helped to think about and forge, will continue.”

“Ed Lathy’s sense of humor and quick mind has entertained faculty and students for years.  But he’s more than just a fun and funny guy. He’s been a strong mentor to many great faculty within the Liberal Arts department and has created a legacy there that will endure through the leadership he created within the program.  So whether students are taking courses in writing, philosophy, science, or art history, a little bit of Ed exists in each of those courses.”

While CCAD is sad to see such wonderful colleagues depart, there is no doubt their retirement will bring many more accomplishments in their art and design fields.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

The alumni newsletter is published four times a year and features the latest news and information for the alumni of Columbus College of Art & Design.

15 Responses to “Five Great CCAD Talents Head Off to Retirement”

1. Deb (Kunkel) Vajda says:

Congratualtions to all, but special wishes to Ed Lathy and Richard Aschenbrand; I was a student in your classes sometime during my years at CCAD. As a member of the Class of 73 wishing you both a happy retirement! Just celebrated my 35th at Abbott too.

2. Bittersweet, indeed. A veteran of both Mr. Aschenbrand & Mr. Botts’ classes, I wish them all the best in retirement. Scores if not hundreds of us alumni were elevated by their acumen & tutelage. Thanks again, gentlemen.

3. Ashley Swanton says:

Mr. Aschenbrand has been, and will remain, a man for whom I have a great deal of respect. He has taught us all that it is a gift to have a creative mind. But most of all how to use that gift to the best of our abilities.

It simply comes down to one grateful student saying,

Thank you for teaching.

4. christine zwicker yoe says:

Retirement?! had to believe that my two most inspirational teachers are leaving a most memorable four years that i ever had anywhere. Mr. Aschenbrand..you hooked me up to Northland Mall designing posters and flyers, i was grateful for your time and patience helping me,you were honest, direct and most of all reminded me that my 100% of effort was not always perfection! I still use those principals today! Mr. Lathy, i still have poetry samples that you critiqued with clarity of thought and “humor”! I took myself so seriously doing those projects! I laugh when i read them now over a glass of good “cab”! I am now nearly sixty years old and have not forgotten any of my experiences at CCAD!

5. Thank you Mr. Aschenbrand for all the type inspirations. Sometimes in life you don’t see how the little things matter to those around you. I’ll always remember your help at the Ohio State Fair too. Cathleen Shaw

6. Congratulations to Richard Aschenbrand! You were very influential on my years (1977-1981) of learning at CCAD. I’ve been a professional graphic designer and artist since then. I am now also the Executive Director for Dorland Mountain Arts Colony in Southern California. http://www.dorlandartscolony.org.
    You should come here for a retreat!

7. Linda Hanlon, Seattle says:

Thank you CCAD and Mr. Aschenbrand and Mr. Lathy. I appreciate all the lessons you have taught over the years, including those I was fortunate to have experienced in the early 1980s.

8. Chris Snell, Jupiter FL says:

All of this remarkable talent has not gone to waste–not by a long shot. They have all inspired young minds to think big and wide and deep. One in particular pushed me many times to go beyond the first solution when I was a student. Richard Aschenbrand taught me to not accept the first concept. And yes, he made me a better designer as well. I look at typography and packaging in a different light even today–many years after my graduation–and my own retirement. Happy trails to all!

9. Marianne Afendoules Lerro says:

As an art teacher myself, I frequently think of my CCAD teachers. Their memorable expressions have become part of my repertoire. Presentation really is 50%!

Many thanks for your efforts on behalf of this former student. You changed my life for the better.

10. Randy Wax says:

Best wishes to all, but sincerely, Richard Aschenbrand: You made every student not only a better student, but a better person by teaching us to go further and to see differently… Thank you for your passion for teaching and guiding students for so many years. Now, slow down and enjoy your retirement!

11. Nicole Martinez says:

Mr. Aschenbrand was definitely a hard teacher, but at the end of the year he turned out to be my absolute favorite because I learned so much and realized what a caring man he was. I haven’t seen him since 2008, but I’m sure he’s just the same as he used to be, and I wish him the absolute best, and I still don’t think he will slow down and enjoy his retirement!!!

12. Chris Hunt Thalgott says:

Hats off to a bunch amazing educators! Ed Lathy and Richard Aschenbrand both taught me to solve visual and verbal communication problems – a skill that has served me well and provided much joy. Thank you for teaching me to think creatively!

13. Isil Arat says:

Best wishes to all, but especially to you Mr. Aschenbrand! Your type and package design classes were the foundation for understanding good design. Having graduated in 1985, I have carried all of your teachings with me all of these years and every time I sit down to design a logo I think of the valuable and very important use of space that you taught me, thank you so much! After reading all the comments, it’s so wonderful to see just how much you are respected and appreciated, and it’s great to see I wasn’t alone!

14. Jim Markle says:

Now I really feel old. I graduated with Steve Botts (1970) and although I didn’t major in illustration, I admired Richard Aschenbrand. Just a word of encouragement, here’s hoping some of your most creative ventures are yet to come. Find new and exciting ways to apply your skills. Best wishes for happy healthy days ahead.

15. I guess it will always be “Mr. Aschenbrand” to me. I arrived at CCAD in 1968 as an 18 year old Freshman. I think my class with Mr. Aschebrand was Typography. He instilled fear in all our hearts, but excellence was the result. I wasn’t fond of Advertising during my 4 years at CCAD, but that has been a thread throughout my 40 year art career. I’ve always fondly remembered Mr. Aschenbrand and wish him a long and happy retirement….good job!!