Alumnus Photographs U.S. Special Operations Team

July 20th, 2012 by Katlin McNally

Chad Hunt’s photograph for Popular Mechanics magazine

Photography alumnus Chad Hunt (CCAD 1994) spent a week training with a U.S. Special Operations Command team, and some of the resulting photography is featured in the July issue of Popular Mechanics.

Hunt’s week with the team involved live-fire training at the Yakima training grounds outside of Seattle, WA.

“Getting such intimate access to the military’s elite was not easy,” Hunt said. “It came about from a personal relationship that I have had with [that] special operations team leader since 2006 when I was embedded in the Korengal Valley, the backdrop for the documentary film Restrepo.”

Hunt filmed a short video to be featured on the Popular Mechanics website and the iPad version of the magazine, which can be watched here. His photographs from Yakima can be viewed here.

Hunt has more than 15 years of experience in photojournalism and portrait work. He has traveled to Afghanistan three times in the last two years as an embedded photographer with the U.S. military. In 2008, his photograph of Sergeant Major David Combs at the Korengal Outpost in Afghanistan made the cover of TIME magazine.

Tags: , , ,

The alumni newsletter is published four times a year and features the latest news and information for the alumni of Columbus College of Art & Design.

2 Responses to “Alumnus Photographs U.S. Special Operations Team”

1. keith Tracy says:

For the longest time I’ve always had an interest in becoming a military photographer. I feel as if I should have went into the military before I decided to go to school. Did you have to join the military or have special training to photograph the soldiers lives?

2. Pam says:

KUDOS Chad on all your work. You have an amazing talent and a special Thank You for capturing my brothers in Afghanistan. Keep shooting!