Andrew Peña: One Student’s View

November 13th, 2012 by IMAGE Magazine

Andrew Peña, photo courtesy Danielle Ford (2013)

By Kristen M. Foley

As CCAD’s Annual Fund Drive kicks off, you might be wondering if anyone really notices when you make your contribution. Short answer? Yes. Long answer: The scholarships that your gift supports can be one of the most profound elements of a student’s education.

Please meet Andrew Peña, a junior Illustration major who’s also pursuing a minor in Writing.

IMAGE: When was the first time you knew you wanted to study illustration?

Andrew: I was always into drawing ever since I was little. As I got older I started thinking that I wouldn’t mind studying [art] and possibly making a career out of it. I looked into different programs and majors, but after taking illustration classes in CCAD’s summer programs, I knew for certain that this was what I wanted to do.

IMAGE: Who/what are your inspirations?

Andrew: The people who are around me who support me. I never start a project without trying to include someone I know and love.

IMAGE: What’s your favorite part about being an Illustration major?

Andrew: I love the whole process of making an illustration—from brainstorming and sketching for hours to putting the final touches on a piece. It’s always nice when you’re finally finished with something and you can’t stop admiring it, but you have to put it to the side so you can start your next best project. Also, being surrounded by a lot of really good artists here at CCAD motivates me to improve and learn from them. It’s like an endless lesson; you never stop learning!

Andrew Peña, photo courtesy of Danielle Ford (2013)

IMAGE: How did your scholarship affect your life and your education?

Andrew: It has really removed a lot of stress from my parents, who are helping fund my college career. I remember telling them about receiving my scholarship—they were overwhelmed with emotion. My mom actually began to cry while I was telling her on the phone.

IMAGE: What would you like to say to CCAD donors about the impact of their support?

Andrew: I can’t thank you enough. You’re giving dedicated students a chance to really shine and pursue their dreams. I feel blessed to have this opportunity and won’t let your support go unappreciated.

IMAGE: What excites you about your future?

Andrew: The fact that I’ll be doing what I love for work is pretty exciting. With the knowledge I’m gaining from CCAD I feel like I can take on the world. It’s a great feeling.

IMAGE: What else would you like to add?

Andrew: My experience at CCAD has been very special. It has introduced me to some awesome people and has made me grow into a better artist. Thank you to all of the professors I’ve had so far at CCAD. I’ve learned so much these past two years and can’t wait to see what else is in store.

To check out the online print version of IMAGE, click here.
To make a donation to student scholarships, click here.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Published in print twice a year, CCAD’s IMAGE magazine shares stories about our creative community, whether here in Columbus or around the world—what we’re doing, thinking, and planning next. The IMAGE blog brings those stories online for transmission at the click of a mouse.