Chin Up: It’s the Fashion Show Photo Shoot

March 10th, 2013 by Lacey Luce
27sfs2013shoot

The 2013 designer group shot.

11 a.m.

It’s fashion photo shoot day, and I’m sitting and waiting. That happens a lot on fashion shoot day, especially if you are a blogger. If I were a make up artist or hair stylist, I’d be busy. If I were a model I’d be trying to sit very still while people transformed me. If I were a designer I’d be getting my garments ready for the shoot—steaming, pressing, etc. And if I were the photographer I’d bee setting up stations, testing lighting, and readying my equipment. But, I’m none of those things. All I had to do was find a corner with an outlet that was out of everyone’s way.

There are two stations where they are shooting for the lookbook, both in sewing labs in Design Studios on Broad.

Unfortunately the only place I can be out of the way of the first session is a place where I can’t actually see anything. This is turning out to be a good thing. I have a roving photographer (the lovely and talented Ms. Katlin McNally) out there getting pics of the fashion photographer, Nick Fancher, and his gang at work. Katlin will be my eyes (and yours, check out the gallery below). What I can do, and have never been able to do in past photo shoots, is hear the photographer and that’s actually more interesting. He provides a constant stream of direction. Chin up, arms this way, turn your elbows out, square the feet, turn your body, feet apart a little more, relax your mouth, setc.

Of course now that I’ve heard all this direction, I really want to SEE what the heck is happening. Fortunately for the next session I can find a new corner and observe.

3:30 p.m.

Everyone has finished up their late lunch, freshened up hair and makeup, and shooting has resumed. I have now been able to wander a bit and observe the shooting a little more closely. A few observations: The looks are seriously tight, well finished, and full of unexpected details. I had seen most of these looks in photos taken during the jurying, but they were even more impressive in person. There are more male looks than I recall seeing in past shows. There are more pants, shorts, and long sleeves (all of which are particularly difficult to make well). I’m seeing a lot of handmade patterns and hand-died fabrics (our dying lab is pretty sweet). There is more diversity in the style of clothing—which is perhaps a result of not having an over arching theme.

I could go on, but really you just need to get a ticket and experience the wow for yourself. The show is May 10. See you there.

Before I sign off I just need to give a big thanks to our photographer Nick Fancher, The Ologie team including Casey Carmell and Andy Hayes, the wonderful hairstylist from Jolie Laide, and of course the fabulous Tim Maurer and his team from Mukha Custom Cosmetics who once again worked makeup magic.

Tags: , ,

One Response to “Chin Up: It’s the Fashion Show Photo Shoot”

1. Lucas says:

Awesome behind-the-scenes pics! Looks like high-end fashion show!