A Cocktail is Born

April 11th, 2013 by Lacey Luce
Josh and the Happy Trays at Middle West Spirits.

Josh and the “happy trays” at Middle West Spirits.

The story of this year’s fashion-show cocktail has two parts. Act I occurred on a cloudy day in March when my colleagues and I quietly snuck out… ahem, I mean purposefully went out to meet the lovely gentlemen from Middle West Spirits (MWS).

I got to do this last year. Sometimes my job simply rocks (there’s an on-the-rocks joke in here somewhere, but I can’t find it).

This year we were invited to do the cocktail tasting at MWS, which I personally prefer. If you haven’t been, go to one of their tours. It’s hard to come by a group of people more passionate about what they do, and seeing where the magic happens is not only cool, but it smells really good in there when they are making the mash—like a bakery.

At a rustic wooden table under a fantastic chandelier, Josh set up two trays with the ingredients for two distinctly different drinks—I call them the happy trays.

If I had reviewed the ingredients ahead of time I would have told you before the tasting which cocktail I liked best.

I would have been wrong.

One option used the OYO stone fruit vodka (which I have a mad passion for) and champagne (um, HELLO, champagne). The second option used the OYO classic vodka and grapefruit. I hate grapefruit.  I mean I REALLY hate grapefruit.

A Vodka Runway

A Vodka Runway

I’m not being subtle here, so you can probably guess which drink I ASSUMED I would like better. As I mentioned above: I was wrong. Apparently I LOVE grapefruit if you mix it with vodka and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur.

Side question: does it count as a fruit serving if you mix it with vodka?

So we chose a drink that is a fun little twist on a greyhound, but it really needed a special event-night name (just like I need special event-night shoes).

Last year we didn’t bother to come up with a name for our Middle West Spirits cocktail, and that was sad. This year, we looked to a team of dedicated experts to help us Christen our new baby: our host committee.

And thus we arrive at Act II, which took place quite recently on a warm, sunny April evening.

Let me set the scene: It’s 5 o’clock in the hour of happy, and gathered at CCAD (in an undisclosed location) is a selection of dignitaries from our host committee. I’m not going to lie, they are a rowdy bunch.

Their mission: to liberally sample our event-night cocktail, and then name it.

They took their task seriously. Well, maybe “seriously” isn’t the best word… they were dedicated in their work. Yeah, that’s better.

There was some lively debate (and googling to ensure that we weren’t stealing an existing name), but in the end a name suggested by our committee chair Peg Mativi was the clear choice.  On May 10 at THE fashion event in Cbus, you can enjoy a Vodka Runway.

That is, if you get your tickets before they sell out.

Tags: , ,