Celestial Inspiration Apparent in Phoebe Isaac’s Apparel

April 17th, 2013 by Fashion Blogger
Phoebe Isaac. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

Phoebe Isaac. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

By Kristen M. Foley

Phoebe Isaac searched and searched for a word that would encompass the inspiration behind her collection. She finally found it in a Japanese word: yugen.

“There isn’t a translation for it, but there should be because it’s such a powerful word. I wanted to choose a word that identified breathlessness or when something takes your breath away,” said Phoebe.

“It’s this feeling that you connect with the universe. For me it’s when I’m on an airplane and I can press my face to the window and just sort of be in the clouds, or when I’m laying on the ground and looking up at the stars when I’m in Maine and looking from one side of the sky to the other,” she said.

Phoebe used a resist technique when creating her fabrics. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

Phoebe expects that everyone will conjure a different emotion upon viewing her collection, but she hopes it will be one of transcendence. The designs are otherworldly with her uniquely dyed fabric, which showcases her celestial and star-scape inspirations.

“I actually dyed my own fabric and it was supposed to be a loose interpretation of the stars,” she notes.

She crafted the design by first using a “resist” technique with a tjanting tool. She then hand dyed the fabric with various vibrant colors.

“The tool has hot wax in it with a little spout and you just press it on the fabric,” said Phoebe. “I put it on wherever I didn’t want the color. Then I dyed it the dark color first and added the other colors in various spots.”

Phoebe never really specifically pictured herself pursuing an education in fashion; however, she did know she would eventually end up at an art school.

Celestial views were among Phoebe's inspirations. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

Celestial views were among Phoebe’s inspirations. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

“I’ve loved drawing since the day I could pick up a pencil. My mom, dad, and stepmom would hang countless, pointless drawings that I had done on the fridge, they never stopped letting me express myself,” she remembers. “As I grew up, they continued to encourage my artistic nature and as a teen, I began checking out my favorite Sailor Moon comics from the Columbus Metropolitan Library and I would go home and draw the Sailor Scouts until I couldn’t possibly draw anymore. It was around this time that I became interested in fashion.”

Looking back on those early drawings Phoebe can identify the progress of her talents and how the intricate outfits would improve with each new sketch. Even today she can look back at previous designs and garments and see their improvements.

You can see Phoebe’s final progression come down the runway on May 10 at the 2013 Senior Fashion Show. Do you have your tickets yet?

Phoebe Isaac is a native of Lexington, OH, and a graduate of Lexington High School.