Faculty Receives Fulbright Grant

April 16th, 2013 by Katlin McNally
Carol Boram Hays (middle) with two Zulu women during her last trip to South Africa in 1997

Carol Boram-Hays (middle) with two Zulu women during her last trip to South Africa in 1997

Adjunct faculty Carol Boram-Hays was selected to participate in the Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

Boram-Hays, an artist and historian, will be teaching and doing research at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, starting in January of 2014 and staying through June.

“I will be teaching and working with graduate students and doing research there and in the field,” Boram-Hays said. “The project is designed to culminate in an exhibition of Zulu beadwork at [the University's] museum and a scholarly publication on the subject.”

Boram-Hays did her dissertation on Zulu beadwork and has been looking for an opportunity to return to South Africa and continue that work.

Zulu man from 1890, photo from Carol Boram-Hays

Zulu man from 1890 wearing beaded accessories; photo from Carol Boram-Hays

“I am looking forward to gathering materials to write new publications on my original area of specialization,” she said. “Johannesburg is also a center for contemporary art in South Africa, which is also a strong interest of mine, so I look forward to being able to visit galleries and meet artists in person. I always find that going to new places and having new experiences stimulates my creativity. So while I will be away from my sculpture studio, I also look forward to developing new ideas for individual pieces as well as proposals for installations and site-specific works.”

The Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program sends approximately 800 scholars and professionals per year to approximately 130 countries, where they lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional careers.

Tags: , , ,