Feathers and Leather Take Flight in Olivia Brezinski’s Collection

April 24th, 2013 by Fashion Blogger
Olivia Brezinski. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

By Kristen M. Foley

Olivia Brezinski has always been a lover of clothes and everything they represented. In fact, in high school she made it a personal goal every year to never repeat an outfit. She succeeded.

“It’s changed a lot since then though, as I’m not that strict about it anymore,” she laughs. “I did achieve it though, which is scary.”

While the daily styling of her personal wardrobe was a priority back then, she also started to focus on the technical side of her passion.

I took every home economics class my school had to offer from seventh grade until senior year,” said Olivia. “I was very fortunate that once I got to high school there was actually a sewing construction class, and that is where I began altering patterns and making real clothing.”

Even with her sincere fondness for fashion and her construction skills growing stronger, Olivia didn’t consider either as a future career. It wasn’t until her mom posed the suggestion that Olivia started to research various art schools around the country.

“Then one day my mom came home from work and told me she found a design school in Columbus, CCAD” she said. “This was it. I found my school. I immediately requested information, took a campus tour, and applied. Here I am four years later in my last semester ever, and I couldn’t be happier.”

Detail of the feathers used throughout Olivia's collection. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

Detail of the feathers used throughout Olivia’s collection. Photo by Kristen M. Foley

As Olivia planned for her senior collection at CCAD, she found herself listening to the music of Lana Del Rey. One particular song, “Dark Paradise” started to encapsulate the sketches she was working on. A combination of soft and hard; stiff and feathery. Yes, feathery. There are lots of feathers throughout her collection.

“I have always done sketches with feathers and I felt like this was finally my chance to use them,” she said. “It’s about the dimension that feathers have and they just take it to a different level than normal materials.

“I knew I wanted to use feathers in some shoulder pieces,” she said. “I always draw strong shoulders and I thought feathers would accentuate them.”

Olivia incorporated the feathers as well as chiffon and leather into her pieces; each with their own strong and dark personality.

Olivia admits that one challenge throughout the process was completing the entire collection and creating final, finished pieces for the runway.

“Up until this point I had never completely lined a garment, and I realized how much time and work it takes,” she said. “That was probably one of the biggest challenges I had to work through.”

Olivia’s dramatic “Dark Paradise” collection will take the stage on Friday, May 10. There are still some tickets left, but get them soon.

.

One Response to “Feathers and Leather Take Flight in Olivia Brezinski’s Collection”

1. Steven Jet says:

This is a real art.