Meet Animation Outstanding Senior Tyler Crowley

April 30th, 2013 by Katlin McNally
2013 Outstanding Senior Tyler Crowley

2013 Outstanding Senior Tyler Crowley

At the end of the academic year, CCAD names the outstanding seniors for each undergraduate major.  Today, in part two of our nine-part series, meet Animation outstanding senior Tyler Crowley.

Q: What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

Being co-founder of the Animation Student Collective, which is the big student animation group that we founded two years ago. We were actually elected the best student group through Student Affairs last year.

Q: What scared you the most while you were at CCAD?

I don’t think I have ever been scared here. Mostly that is because I transferred here, so I got my freshman jitters out of the way.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

To find a studio to work in. I am going to be interviewing with some California studios at Directions [CCAD's reverse career fair], as well as some back home in New Hampshire.

Q: What’s your ultimate dream job or goal?

To work in a studio out in California and eventually pitch my own show.

Q: Why is it important as an alumnus to give back to CCAD?

It’s important to give perspective to current students about what it’s like to leave this school. It is important for students to know that the people that they look up to and aspire to be were where they currently are at some point. Through the Animation Student Collective it’s been great for me to speak to alumni Chris Oatley and Alex Alvarado.

Q: Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”

A year ago I was working on a kind of a goofy assignment where I was making a guy try to pick up a girl in the bar, and she turns around and her face is an alligator. I was struggling with it and being really critical of the project, giving myself a hard time, and I got to thinking that no matter how hard I am on myself, I am still able to do projects like this, where there is an alligator-faced person, so it can’t be that bad.

Q: What will you miss the most?

The Animation Student Collective group. It is a huge group, but I really feel like I am close friends with all of them. It is going to be difficult to move into a different group of people.

Q: If you could describe what graduation feels like in one word or sentence what would it be?

I have never been one for ceremony or anything like that; graduation for me is more of a relief that this part is done and thinking, okay, what’s next?

Q: What was your favorite class at CCAD?

Any of my animation classes—especially ones with Tom Richner, Andy Friz, and Phil Garrett.

Q: What did you like to do during your free time?

I would spend a lot of time with my friends in the animation collective group. We have five student leaders, so the five of us are as tight as can be.

Q: What is your fondest memory at CCAD?

The late nights that I spend with those five other leaders, anywhere from planning out our meeting to going to Steak ‘n Shake after, which is a tradition of ours.

Q: What would you change about your undergraduate career?

I would have come here immediately instead of spending the year at the technical college and transferring.

Q: What is your advice to future CCAD students?

Get involved in your department. Animation is one of the most collaborative art forms, so you are going to be working with a lot of people; develop those people skills, and get more comfortable talking with people both in informal and formal settings.

Crowley is from Milford, NH, and attended Milford High School.

Tags: , , , , , ,

One Response to “Meet Animation Outstanding Senior Tyler Crowley”

1. K-Lam says:

I love Tyler <3