Meet Industrial Design Outstanding Senior Justin Brown

May 7th, 2013 by Katlin McNally
Justin Brown

CCAD 2013 outstanding senior Justin Brown

At the end of the academic year, CCAD names the faculty-selected outstanding seniors for each undergraduate major.  Today, in part seven of our nine-part series, meet Industrial Design outstanding senior Justin Brown.

Q: What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

My Zwei Desk I created my junior year; it was selected for the Design Emphasis Showcase at the International Woodworking Fair, and I placed second in my category.

Q: What scared you the most while you were at CCAD?

I broke my arm my freshman year while throwing a dodgeball. I didn’t think I was going to finish the year. I was in a temporary cast for a week, then I had to have surgery and couldn’t move my arm for about a month, and then I was in another cast after that.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

I have a job. Throughout the year and during school breaks I have been interning at MidWest Studios in Indiana. I will be an exhibit design fabricator.

Q: What’s your ultimate dream job or goal?

Just being a craftsman; craft is something that I try to emphasize in all my work. So as far as a dream job I can’t really pinpoint that—as long as I am able to build and be a craftsman.

Justin Brown's Zwei Desk

Justin Brown’s Zwei Desk

Q: Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”

There have been a lot of times when I am asking “why am I doing this?” and I don’t know if that’s been answered yet. It is one of those questions I am still looking to answer. Meeting with my teachers has been very inspiring and they have pushed me to where I am now.

Q: What smell, word, or whatever will always remind you of your time here as a student?

The Motorist building—it always just reminds me of Columbus.

Q: What will you miss the most?

Probably the old wood shop and working with Frank Laskowsky and John Henning.

Q: What are you most excited to leave behind?

The stress, absolutely.

Q: If you could describe what graduation feels like in one word or sentence what would it be?

I would have to say a relief, and I’m looking forward to it.

Q: What was your favorite class at CCAD?

Conceptual drawing with Thornton Lothrop—it was a test class. I learned a lot of things in that class and a lot of interesting concepts that weren’t necessarily covered in my major, and the teacher was very, very inspiring.

Q: What did you like to do during your free time?

I build furniture; it is all I do. I don’t exhibit or sell it, I just give it away. It allows me to keep up with that hobby and be able to just be a craftsman.

Q: What is your fondest memory at CCAD?

Working in the wood shop with Frank and John, that was great.

Q: What would you change about your undergraduate career?

I would have had more of a Fine Arts emphasis. I would take glassblowing, more ceramics, and woodworking, and I would combine those three mediums into a thesis. I have always had this dream of just making bowls out of all three mediums to emphasize the craft.

Learning that stuff is definitely still an option; it’s not too late. I think that if I want to pursue something like that I would look into an apprenticeship, something I can do in my free time, since right now I don’t necessarily want to go back to school.

What is your advice to future CCAD students?

Choose your major wisely.

Brown is a native of Troy, OH, and attended Miami East High School.

Tags: , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Meet Industrial Design Outstanding Senior Justin Brown”

1. Wade Gwin says:

Congratulations Justin. Favorite: “There have been a lot of times when I am asking “why am I doing this?” and I don’t know if that’s been answered yet.” – so true. Let it continue…

2. Lillian Dostal says:

Congratulations Justin. I can really relate to this post. I have been asking myself about the things that I have been doing. And sometimes, it’s better to leave unanswered and let the journey that I chose to continue. As long as I love what I am doing, and people around me are proud of me, then life must go on.