Meet Photography Outstanding Senior Kayla Holdgreve

May 9th, 2013 by Katlin McNally
CCAD Outstanding Senior Kayla Holdgreve, wearing her "signature" sunglasses

CCAD Outstanding Senior Kayla Holdgreve, wearing her “signature” sunglasses

At the end of the academic year, CCAD deans names the faculty-selected outstanding seniors for each undergraduate major. Today, in part nine of our nine-part series, meet Photography outstanding senior Kayla Holdgreve.

Q: What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

This last semester. I figured out what I wanted to do, and I created a really strong body of work that represents me as a person, as an artist, and the direction I want to go. The work is a three-part series that deals with the personal journey one takes within time and space. I used a lot of different photo processes and mixed digital and film.

Q: What scared you the most while you were at CCAD?

Just managing everything. It is such a heavy workload here, and you have to balance that with jobs, internships, personal work, and hanging out with friends.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

Developing my own work, and I would like to travel. I am going to wait a couple years, but then I will start applying to grad schools.

Q: What’s your ultimate dream job or goal?

My ultimate dream job would be to look at old photographs all the time, and travel, and get paid to do that.

Q: Why is it important as an alumnus to give back to CCAD?

It is necessary to keep things going and growing. We have to ensure that students have access to what we did and even more.

Q: Do you remember a single point that made you sit back and say, “This is why I am doing this?”

There was a moment when I was in the darkroom and I was experimenting with these negatives and trying to come up with something I have never tried before. I was in there for two hours, and finally when I was hovering over the chemicals the image came out, and I just thought “thank you, this is it.”

Q: What smell, word, or whatever will always remind you of your time here as a student?

The fix and the photo chemicals.

Q: What will you miss the most?

The connections and the closeness of the students and the faculty here. We were able to have constant feedback, stay up late working with peers, and chat with the faculty on our work. Also, the equipment we had available to us.

Q: If you could describe what graduation feels like in one word or sentence what would it be?

Bittersweet. It is exciting to move on, but there are a lot of things that will be missed.

Q: What was your favorite class at CCAD?

Poetry with Lesley Jenike, feminism in art with Susanne Myers, and my materials study class with Helen Hoffelt. Those three factored so much into who I am and the work that I am about.

Q: What did you like to do during your free time?

Read, that is one thing that I have been enjoying. I’m currently reading 1984.

Q: What is your fondest memory at CCAD?

Just hanging out with everyone in the labs; I practically lived there.

Q: What would you change about your undergraduate career?

Focus more and take advantage of everything offered here, from the equipment to the visiting artists’ lectures.

Q: What is your advice to future CCAD students?

Utilize all of the space, equipment, workshops, and visiting artists’ talks, just everything that is offered on campus.

Holdgreve is from Lima, OH, and attended Lima Senior High School.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Meet Photography Outstanding Senior Kayla Holdgreve”

1. Mark Cox says:

Congrats Kayla! My Dad and Mom would be so proud of you! All of us in PA are very proud of you! Keep living you…. you will always be a happy individual if you do!