What a trip! My senior reflection.

August 29th, 2013 by Student Blogger

ADM-The-Student-View

By Colleen Clark

Reppin' one of the organizations I'm involved with at the Student Involvement Fair.

Reppin’ one of the organizations I’m involved with at the Student Involvement Fair.

My name is Colleen Clark and this week is my last ever first week of school. In other words, I’m starting my senior year… and I’m freaking out a little.

I have a lot of new responsibilities, both daunting and exciting (like helping out with this blog, for example)!

I’ve been working as a student ambassador in CCAD’s Admissions department for almost a year now. In addition to meeting potential new students visiting our office and showing them around the school, I’m hoping these posts can give a real student perspective to individuals interested in attending CCAD.

As my last year here starts, I’m really starting to understand how different I am and how much going to school here has changed me. I grew up in the DC area, so when I was preparing to move all the way to Ohio, (I imagined the entire state as one giant cornfield) I was terrified! I didn’t know what I wanted to do, I didn’t know what my major was going to be, and I didn’t really know much about the school.

Now, I’m still kinda terrified, to be honest. But for entirely different reasons! I’m terrified that in a year I have to leave the community that made me into an adult. The CCAD community is where I learned who I am and what I want to do. This is a place I can walk around and feel like I’m an important part of something, and it’s the first time in my life I’ve ever felt that way.

Somehow, in my time here, I’ve managed to go from feeling lost about where I fit into the art world to figuring out I love Illustration and that I want to focus on writing comics and illustrations for young adult women. When I was a freshman, if someone told me that by my senior year I’d have my illustrations published in magazines or that I’d be the president of a student group, I would have never believed them.

Anyone pursuing a degree in anything will tell you that there is a lot to worry about. And anyone going to art school will tell you it’s an amazing, terrifying experience. The coolest thing about entering my senior year here is assessing how much I have changed, as a person and as an artist, compared to the way I felt starting my freshman year.

I guess the lesson here, if there even is a lesson, is that it can be just as scary to start your senior year as it is to step onto a college campus for the first time. But if I can do it (and trust me, I didn’t think I could), anyone can do it.

So, nice to meet you everyone! I hope that your school year is off to a great start, I’m certainly looking forward to mine.

Colleen Clark, CCAD senior illustration major, enjoys looking at photos of dogs online, following NBC comedy series (specifically anything involving Tina Fey), and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.

Illustration by Colleen Clark

Illustration by Colleen Clark

Tags: , , , ,

The CCAD Admissions blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.

One Response to “What a trip! My senior reflection.”

1. Robyn D'Anna says:

Colleen, this was great! I am also SO proud of you. When I first met you I think you were 7 years old! You’ve always been an artist and I am excited for your future which will surely be scary at times but that is just part of life and seems to me you are up to the challenge!
    Love you,
    Robyn