Comics, Art, & More: The Independents’ Day Festival!

September 23rd, 2013 by Student Blogger
20130921_193637

The crowd at the festival.

By Colleen Clark

Sometimes I get into a groove where I forget there’s an outside world because of how much time I spend working on campus. And even though it’s a good thing that the campus atmosphere feels so tight-knit, it’s good to venture out into the “real world” every once in a while. This past weekend, right down Gay Street (a ten minute or less walk from CCAD), there was the Independents’ Day Festival! Notice it’s spelled “Independents,” not “Independence.” This was a festival dedicated to Columbus’ independent bands, businesses, and culture.

I stopped by on Saturday to see what it was all about. I ended up running into my friend and CCAD alumna Lucie Shearer, who had a booth selling her beautiful illustrations. You go, Lucie.

Then, I happened to spot one of CCAD Admission’s team members, Angela Pennock. She had her own booth as well, selling her wonderful designs and accessories made from re-purposed old T-shirts! I had never seen Angela’s work before. It’s always cool to see what people do outside of work.

At one point, my friend Dorian Lafferre ran into me and we grabbed frozen yogurt at 39 Below, where he giddily showed me all of the cool stuff he got from indie, Columbus-based comic publishers.

The Sketch and Kvetch booth! With Canada Keck and Elizabeth Valasco.

This was definitely the most exciting part of Independents’ Day for me, because comics are awesome. I was pleasantly surprised by how many comic creator booths there were. One of the main reasons I wanted to go this event was to hang out at the comics booth run by a group I am proud to be a part of: Sketch and Kvetch. We are a group of Columbus-based female comic artists that meets to discuss women’s roles in comics and illustration. I’m really lucky to be a part of it, and their booth was awesome.

Other than that, I wasn’t able to see any of the concerts because I was feeling kinda sick and had to head home. I heard great things about the bands though, and all in all people seemed to be having a blast. It’s always nice to have reminders of Columbus’ cool culture outside of CCAD, so it seems like Independents’ Day is one of the events I’ll have to make sure I attend every year I’m in Ohio. Especially if I can grab some sweet food truck food next time.

Colleen Clark, CCAD senior illustration major, enjoys looking at photos of dogs online, following NBC comedy series (specifically anything involving Tina Fey), and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

The Life at CCAD blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.