Monsters University, Alumnus Win Animation Award

October 2nd, 2013 by Amanda Pierce
Monster's University, directed by alumnus Dan Scanlon.

“Monsters University,” directed by alumnus Dan Scanlon.

Illustration alumnus Dan Scanlon (CCAD 1998), director of Disney/Pixar’s $700 million-grossing flick Monsters University, and producer Kori Rae will take home the Hollywood Animation Award at the 17th Annual Hollywood Film Awards Oct. 21.

Along with making his directorial debut, Scanlon also co-wrote the film’s story and screenplay.

Founder and Executive Director of the Hollywood Film Awards Carlos De Abreu sang the film’s praises in an article in The Hollywood Reporter. “The animation and storytelling of Monster’s University reflects Pixar’s creativity and greatness,” said De Abreu.

Since joining Pixar in 2001, Scanlon’s film credits include Cars, The Little Mermaid II, 101 Dalmatians II, and Toy Story 3 as a storyboard artist and The Indescribable Nth and Joseph: King of Dreams as an animator. He also co-directed the short film Mater and the Ghostlight.

Previous winners of the Hollywood Animation Award include Ratatouille (2007), Wall-E (2008), Up (2009), Toy Story 3 (2010), Rango (2011), and Rise of the Guardians (2012).

Scanlon attended Clawson High School in Clawson, MI. He currently resides in San Francisco, CA.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The alumni newsletter is published four times a year and features the latest news and information for the alumni of Columbus College of Art & Design.

2 Responses to “Monsters University, Alumnus Win Animation Award”

1. The best movie we’ve ever seen. Full with fun and lessons!

2. Susu says:

” Monsters University” is a new film from Pixar that is a prequel to their film “Monsters Inc.”. In addition to the two main characters, a whole lot of new characters are introduced at the college that Mike and Sully attended. The plot involves Mike trying to become a ‘scaring major’—something quite unthinkable since he isn’t the least bit scary. There’s a lot more to the film than this, but I won’t spoil it by saying more about the plot.

My daughter was lucky enough to go to the debut of “Monsters University”. She liked it but also felt the story was disappointing since it lacked original characters and the story reminded her of too many college films (like “Revenge of the Nerds” and “Animal House”). My wife saw it with me and she said that the film put her to sleep! This is all very odd, as I am usually the most difficult to please in the family when it comes to films—yet I thoroughly enjoyed the film and nearly gave it a 9. While I would agree it lacks originality, it did make me smile. It was a nice, gentle film—one that I didn’t mind just watching without picking it apart (like I usually do). Much of this is because the CGI was simply gorgeous and It was a pleasure watching such a beautiful film…as well as such a nice and enjoyable film.