To Boldly Boo: CCAD’s Annual Halloween Party!

October 28th, 2013 by Student Blogger

student view

Me (as Spock), my friend Bekah (as Kirk), and two other students in Star Trek costumes we happened to run into!

By Colleen Clark

I’m not sure when exactly “going home early and watching Star Trek for the thousandth time” became my idea of a perfect Saturday night, but somehow that’s what my Big Boo experience ended up being. This isn’t to say the Big Boo wasn’t exciting. In fact, it was so exciting that after admiring and exclaiming over my friends’ costumes and dancing my butt off, I was ready to call it a night.

The night started out with my friend (and CCAD alumni) Bekah Nunn and I getting into our costumes: Spock and Kirk. After I posted the prosthetic ears as my “clue,” all of my friends knew immediately who I was being. It is no secret that my obsession with Star Trek is pretty intense (how many times have I mentioned it on this blog alone? Oops…). I glued those ears on my face, drew on some fake eyebrows, trimmed up my wig, and we headed out for the evening.

My laser gun makes real "pew pew" noises. It is awesome.

My laser gun makes real “pew pew” noises. It is awesome.

Immediately after we arrived and were waiting in line at Axis (the nightclub hosting the event), I ran into my friends Haley and Danny dressed as Goldilocks and one of the three bears. They were adorable. Once inside the club, I was hit with the realization of just how many creative and complex costumes there were—the room was filled with martians and video game characters and superheroes, some in full-body armor!

Students Haley Fischer and Danny Dufford as Goldilocks and her bear.

It made me wonder how many people get to go to a gay nightclub filled with their classmates dressed in beautifully constructed costumes as part of their college experience.

Another highlight of the night was the costume contest, where my friends won first place for their Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign costumes! Anyone who is an art or design student uses these three Adobe programs almost every day, so this idea was super clever and the perfect fit for the crowd.

Taylor Meyers and students Carolyn Zurawka and Steph Rybicki in their Adobe costumes!

After running around and dancing for a bit, the plan was to go on to Highball, High Street’s big Halloween party. Admission to this event came with the price of the Big Boo ticket, which was awesome… except that we were exhausted. As much as we wanted to go, my friends and I realized that there was a couch with some cookies and movies at home, so we were lame and we called it a night.

However, it was a super fun last Big Boo for me, and I look forward to seeing all the pictures that keep surfacing of everyone’s costumes. The dedication to the costumes is something I’ll never forget about CCAD. Or maybe it’s just hard to forget when you have had prosthetic glue from fake ears stuck to your face for so long.

For more pictures of the student costumes, check out Sakhile Vanqa’s post!

Colleen Clark is a senior majoring in illustration who enjoys looking at photos of dogs online, following NBC comedy series (specifically anything involving Tina Fey), and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

The CCAD Admissions blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.