Goin’ For It: The 2014 Senior Fashion Show

November 14th, 2013 by Amanda Pierce
SFS-sneak-peek

A little sneak peek of some of the things I saw on Thursday.

I sat in a sewing lab in Design Studios on Broad last Thursday, surrounded by 26 Fashion Design seniors and a row of mannequins (dressed far better than I, by the way), and witnessed something incredible: the beginning.

Right now it looks like this: Uneven necklines and pants that need to be hemmed. Frayed edges and missing buttons. An unfinished jacket draped over a stunning floor-length gown and one incredible belted jumpsuit (any fans of snakeskin out there? You’re in for a treat).

I don’t want to give too much away so you’ll just have to trust me on this one—the 2014 Senior Fashion Show season is well underway and future is bright!

Last Thursday marked the second critique in Suzanne Cotton’s senior collection class. This year, Cotton, the chair of Fashion Design, is inviting guests from big names like Macy’s and Abercrombie & Fitch to give students a fresh perspective as they work on their collections.

Kelly Martin

Kelli Martin

Kelli Martin, former Project Runway contestant and owner of Columbus fashion line Anti.Label, was visiting the day I was there and was a ball of leopard print energy and wisdom.

Throughout the next five and a half months, I’ll be your go-to for all things CCAD Fashion Show. I’m Amanda, the “new girl” around the office here at CCAD and the one who happily agreed to take on the task of chronicling this incredible annual event. How did I get so lucky?

We started blogging about the journey to the Fashion Show a few years ago—critiques, late nights at the sewing machine, basically an insider’s look at how this all comes together—and people loved it. So here we are again!

I’ll be sitting in on more critiques, interviewing designers, documenting the dress rehearsals, and keeping tabs on everything leading up to the big day (which is May 9, 2014—go grab your calendar and mark it in pen).

Whether you’re new to the CCAD Fashion Show like I am or an old pro that just wants to soak in the fashion, photo shoots, and makeup to come, then please, make yourself at home.

Be sure to subscribe to this blog, follow us on Twitter (#ccadfs), and find us on Facebook for the latest news and photos.

I think one of the student designers said it best last week during the critique when she said, “This whole thing is about doin’ it and just goin’ for it.” I’m pretty sure she was talking about her rockin’ collection but I think it really defines the whole spirit of this event. Twenty-six students. Five and a half more months. And a whole lot of high fashion coming your way. Enjoy the ride.