A Look Back at Fall 2013!

December 10th, 2013 by Student Blogger

student view

By Colleen Clark

A detail shot from my most recent illustration.

School felt very different this semester. Not necessarily a bad different, but because it was the beginning of my last year, everything felt more final and more serious. There’s this looming feeling that all of the projects I do will make or break me, even though I know that’s not true. I think it’s just nerves or the stress of trying to tie up all my loose ends and ensure that I am a professional once I leave CCAD.

But even though there was a little less goofing around and a little more nail-biting and coffee-drinking than my previous semesters, I still managed to do some exciting stuff. I made some of my favorite work ever and I got to participate in some awesome events.

In September, I watched Star Trek for the first time. This has proven to be a big mistake because I am really obsessed now and I spend too much time watching it. I suggest you do not start watching Star Trek at the start of a new semester.

Also in September, I had my first Illustration Student Collective (ISC) meeting where I switched leader positions and became president, and luckily, it was a pizza party. A comic I made was featured on the first page of Tumblr. I was interviewed by the awesome blog Jug Report, and I was featured a second time in the Huffington Post for a comic I made. Then, I got to speak at and attend the MIX Comics Symposium, where I got to chat with some of my heroes!

In October, the ISC had a gallery show called Fears: Monsters and Madness, hosted at 39 Below Frozen Yogurt. It was tons of fun and there was lots of great work! My parents came to visit me for my last Family Weekend. I made a few pieces I enjoy, and then I dressed up as Spock for CCAD’s Big Boo.

In November, the ISC had a bake sale and was visited by alumnus Eric Fortune, who gave an inspiring talk. I also got to attend the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library’s Re-Opening Festival, and after seeing some awesome work and talented artists, I felt rejuvenated and ready to work. I got to visit home for Thanksgiving break and that was wonderful.

Now, I’m just trying to finish up my final assignments during this last week. I am looking forward to a road trip with my best friend from home and to my final critiques in class.

I feel very lucky that I am alive after my hardest semester yet. I am nervous, stressed, nauseous, and unbelievably excited as I think about my final semester… ever!

Colleen Clark is a senior majoring in illustration who enjoys looking at photos of dogs online, following NBC comedy series (specifically anything involving Tina Fey), and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.

Tags: , , , , , ,

The CCAD Admissions blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.