Cameron and Sakhile take Savannah!

March 25th, 2014 by Student Blogger

student view

By Sakhile Vanqa

Cameron and I arrived in Savannah.

Cameron and I arrived in Savannah.

What did I do this past spring break? Why, I went to Savannah with my friend Cameron. To put how excited we were into perspective, we have been planning to go since last year’s spring break, so we’ve been waiting.

Cameron had never been to Savannah, and all he knew were the stories and pictures I shared with him.  And that’s how, a year after first talking about this trip, we found ourselves on board a bus bound for Georgia.We were going to stay with Nellie and Raychol (my old roommates) in our old apartment, which was pretty great.

Traveling with one of my closest friends was brilliant! The bus trip is awfully long and it was nice to have someone there that stopped strangers from sitting beside me. We spent most of our trip catching up on some of the sleep we had lost from the week before spring break kicked off.

When we arrived in Savannah, there was a lot of green. Like, a lot of green. It was St. Patrick’s Day that week, and the city was gearing up for it. Savannah holds quite a huge Irish community, and they take the day very seriously. Even though it rained a little bit, everyone was in high spirits and didn’t seem to mind at all.

But first things first: a shower. After spending about 19 hours on a bus, there was absolutely nothing else on my mind. I’m thankful we didn’t travel in the middle of July. If you have ever experienced a southern summer (10 points for alliteration), you understand how gross you can get.

I was glad I had my toothbrush with me on the bus though. At least dental hygiene was covered.

After we got good and clean it was time to take over Savannah with some of my favorite people. The pictures in the gallery sum up the entire trip that seemed to blur together. There was a lot of laughing with new faces as well as old, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

The south has this air about it where people treat one another like they are related somehow. Cameron pointed it out—it’s just so easy to talk to people and everyone is approachable.

The best part of the whole trip was being able to see my friends all in one place before everyone graduated and headed in different directions. With all of us coming from different parts of the world, I got really upset when I left knowing it may be the last time we would all be together. We had to make the best of it.

Sakhile Vanqa is a junior majoring in Cinematic Arts who enjoys humor, cycling, and aspires to shoot for National Geographic.

Tags: , , , , , ,

The CCAD Admissions blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.