What’s a Columbus Design Internship Like?

March 19th, 2014 by Student Blogger

By Colleen Clark

A screenshot of my internship company's homepage.

A screenshot of my internship company’s homepage.

When you start out at CCAD, you’ll probably hear a lot of scary, intimidating things about internships. You’ll hear about all the amazing, big-name opportunities your peers have gotten, and everyone will have tips for how to get your own. For some majors, it’s required to have an internship credit to graduate. For others, like Illustration (my major), internships are not mandatory but heavily suggested.

The good news: we have an incredibly well-stocked, knowledgeable, helpful Career Services office that gets its success from our successes as students. Most people I know got their internships through listings and networking provided by Career Services. Other students naturally network through faculty or alumni (if you know someone who works at a studio or company, chances are at some point their employer will ask for names of people they recommend). The bad news: no matter what odds are in your favor, you’re going to be terrified.

I really lucked out with the opportunity I got this semester. My name was recommended by a teacher who knows my now boss, because she thought I would be a good fit. I have been working at Print Syndicate LLC (more specifically, the Look Human branch), a clothing and accessories company, for the past few months. They are located right here in Columbus, and being at Print Syndicate has been by far the best experience I’ve had in my career!

A valentine's day asset I helped make.

A Valentine’s Day asset I helped make.

I am on the layout design team, and even though I wouldn’t have considered myself a graphic designer before, a lot of my responsibilities fall under the design umbrella. I LOVE all of their designs (they have so many parody video game and 90’s shirts, as well as an entire feminist section) and lots of fun people work there. I make assets like promotional banners, Instagram and tumblr ads, and Facebook posts. I made two little ads for Groundhog Day and Valentine’s Day sales that I got be creative with. But mostly, I am getting tons of satisfaction from helping out the team. With all of my long, drawn-out senior projects bogging me down, it is really nice to be able to show up, complete a task, and see it on the website in a matter of hours. It makes me feel useful, and I get to learn all about how web promotion works! The composition, color, and design knowledge I got from my classes at CCAD makes it possible for me to complete these tasks in a few hours every day. I’m also rapidly learning more about the Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign).

Wherever this internship leads me in the future, it is exciting to know there are local companies in Columbus that are excited to hire CCAD students. It’s also good to know that the connections you make as a student will have lasting benefits. I hope that everyone gets to have an internship experience like mine, and I can vouch that those who work hard surely will.

Colleen Clark is a CCAD senior majoring in Illustration who wishes Star Trek was real. She loves comics, puppies, anything involving Tina Fey, and sharing her art and thoughts through her online blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

The Life at CCAD blog brings prospective students and their families into ongoing conversation with CCAD students, admissions counselors, and financial aid staff—including occasional visits from other members of the CCAD family.