Meet Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior Nigel Ewan

May 5th, 2014 by Amanda Pierce
Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior Nigel Ewan  Photo: Amanda Pierce

Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior Nigel Ewan
Photo: Amanda Pierce

At the end of the academic year, CCAD faculty select one outstanding senior for each undergraduate major. Today, in part six of our nine-part series, meet Outstanding Advertising & Graphic Design Senior Nigel Ewan.

Q. Outstanding Senior is an honor that’s earned. How did you stay focused and motivated to excel academically?

I made sure that I was doing things I enjoyed that would keep me creatively energized. I worked hard in school, but I also made sure I was doing other creative things besides classwork.

Q: What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

Finishing. I’ve done so many things here that I hadn’t done before. Being on the other side of college and getting to the point of graduation is an achievement.

Q: What was your biggest challenge as a student?

Being a loving friend and supportive member of the community, specifically within the Ad/Graph department. It’s difficult to be constructive and loving and supportive.

Q. Is there a person in your field who inspires you?

Richard Aschenbrand is an inspiration to me. I appreciate his holistic philosophy of design and aesthetic sensibility that is carried out across multiple disciplines.

Q: Who was your most influential professor?

Marcia Tabler. We met a month into my time at school, and we’ve been friends ever since. She’s been a good mentor. Also, Mark Burleigh and Matthew Mohr. I know that they will always have my back.

Q: What will you miss the most about CCAD?

The fact that it feels comfortable and the people in my department. The senior Ad/Graph class is a great group of people. I was not expecting to feel such a sense of community with that specific group.

Q: What word or phrase sums up your feelings about graduation?

Insufficient. The time that I have to accomplish my goals before graduation is insufficient. But I also think my emotional capacity is insufficient to deal with the excitement and sadness of leaving. I also feel insufficient to remember this time because so much is happening.

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

I want to stay in Columbus, and I want to make money. I’m interviewing for jobs now, and I’m confident that I am equipped to go out and take care of myself.

Q. As a soon-to-be-alum, how do you hope to impact the next group of CCAD students?

I think we all have a vested interest in protecting and increasing the reputation of our school. I hope to go out and be a good ambassador for CCAD. I also hope that when I encounter people who will be here in the future, I can instill in them an appreciation for the heritage of this place and the people who have come before.

Q: What is one thing you know now that you wish you would’ve known as a freshman?

As a freshman I wish I had known to invest in relationships more with my peers. That’s something that I’ve been slower to appreciate.

Nigel is from Columbus, OH