Meet Outstanding Fine Arts Senior Kyle Franklin

May 3rd, 2014 by Amanda Pierce
Outstanding Fine Arts Senior Kyle Franklin Photo: Amanda Pierce

Outstanding Fine Arts Senior Kyle Franklin
Photo: Amanda Pierce

At the end of the academic year, CCAD faculty select one outstanding senior for each undergraduate major. Today, in part four of our nine-part series, meet Outstanding Fine Arts Senior Kyle Franklin.

Q. Outstanding Senior is an honor that’s earned. How did you stay focused and motivated to excel academically?

Lots of coffee. And it’s hard to complain about school when it’s something that you really enjoy doing. I always have to remind myself that I could be in law school.

Q. What was your proudest achievement?

I had a show in January at Roy G Biv gallery. I applied just for the sake of applying, and I ended up being accepted, which I was really surprised about. It was really rewarding.

Q. What was your biggest challenge as a student?

The show at Roy G Biv Gallery was difficult and scary. I didn’t have a lot of professors helping me, and I didn’t have a lot of people helping me, so it was intimidating. But it was really good practice for my thesis show.

Q. Do you remember a single point when you realized that you were meant to be here doing what you were doing?

When I got here my freshman year, it was really nice to see faculty members and adults and visiting artists doing what I wanted to do and spending their time thinking about the same things that I did. It was very validating.

Q. Who was your most influential professor?

Lesley Jenike has been awesome for my screenwriting and film interests. Matthew Flegle and Danielle Julian-Norton are both awesome to have as sculpture professors.

Q. What is your fondest CCAD memory?

I was on Student Programming Board my freshman and sophomore years. It was me and nine of my really good friends, and we had several events. We did a cabin retreat in the fall and it was really fun.

Q. What are your plans after graduation?

I am moving to Seattle, and I’m going to decompress for a year or two. I’m definitely going to grad school at some point.

Q. What is one thing you know now that you wish you would have known as a freshman?

You should never rush to finish a project just because of a specific due date. If you have to turn in a project a day or two late in order for the project to be better, that’s what you should do. But I wouldn’t tell people to make a habit of that. I’ve also learned the importance of taking a break, because it is easy to get burned out.

Kyle is from Marion, IL, and attended Johnston City High School.

Tags: , , , , , ,

One Response to “Meet Outstanding Fine Arts Senior Kyle Franklin”

1. стяжка пола says:

Great work Kyle, u are a truly exemplary student and i really aspire to be like u. wish u all the best after school.