Meet Outstanding Illustration Senior Thomas Kirkeberg

May 2nd, 2014 by Amanda Pierce
Outstanding Senior Thomas Kirkeberg Photo: Amanda Pierce

Outstanding Illustration Senior Thomas Kirkeberg
Photo: Amanda Pierce

At the end of the academic year, CCAD faculty select one outstanding senior for each undergraduate major. Today, in part three of our nine-part series, meet Outstanding Illustration Senior Thomas Kirkeberg.

Q. Outstanding Senior is an honor that’s earned. How did you stay focused and motivated to excel academically?

I was always trying to just make the best art I could. It wouldn’t have been worth it if I didn’t try to be satisfied with the work that I did.

Q. What was your proudest achievement?

Being a part of the Illustration Student Collective.

Q. Is there a person in your field who inspires you?

Don Rosa did Disney comics, and that’s what got me into art and illustration. I wouldn’t be drawing if I hadn’t fallen in love with his comics as a kid.

Q. Do you remember a single point when you realized that you were meant to be here doing what you were doing?

During my junior year when I was spending a lot of time with the seniors, there was such a feeling of community. I could tell that my work was starting to go somewhere and that I was on the right track.

Q. What was your favorite class at CCAD?

I’ve enjoyed a lot of the Liberal Arts classes and science classes. I also took an independent study with Christopher Payne that was tremendously helpful.

Q. What is your fondest CCAD memory?

The community. Back home in Norway it’s just me doing my own thing, but here, everybody lives and breathes art. I think that’s amazing.

Q. Have any CCAD alumni impacted your time here? 

Wes Talbott has been a huge influence. He motivated me to push myself to get to his level. He was the best one in his class last year and he always had solid work.

Kirkeberg is from Ramnes, Norway, and attended Horten Videregaende Skole.

Tags: , , , , , ,