Meet Outstanding Industrial Design Senior Casi Douglas

May 4th, 2014 by Amanda Pierce
Outstanding Industrial Design Senior Casi Douglas  Photo: Amanda Pierce

Outstanding Industrial Design Senior Casi Douglas
Photo: Amanda Pierce

At the end of the academic year, CCAD faculty select one outstanding senior for each undergraduate major. Today, in part five of our nine-part series, meet Outstanding Industrial Design Senior Casi Douglas.

Q. Outstanding Senior is an honor that’s earned. How did you stay focused and motivated to excel academically?

I’ve always been someone who is very focused on academics. For me, industrial design is my passion. It’s not hard to get excited about your passion.

Q: What was your proudest achievement while at CCAD?

Getting to be a student government member and president of the Industrial Design Student Collective. I also got to present in the IDSA Merit Award which was really awesome.

Q: What was your biggest challenge as a student?

Believing in my own work has been a big challenge. It’s really difficult to see your own work through the lens of someone who didn’t create it. I always feel like I’m judging my work really harshly.

Q. Is there a person in your field who inspires you?

My favorite designer is Yves Behar. His work is really beautiful and at the same time philanthropic. He did projects like One Laptop Per Child.

Q: Do you remember a single point when you realized that you were meant to be here doing what you were doing?

I was selected to work on a project in the MindMarket when I was a junior and I got to work with some senior Ad/Graph students. It was a really great experience, and it was very validating because only three of us got selected from Industrial Design.

Q: What was your favorite class at CCAD?

I loved ceramics class. I liked being able to apply my design thinking to make something with my hands. It was a release for me.

Q: Who was your most influential professor?

Greg Thune. He’ll help you concept things and figure out how things can be made. He has a lot of industry knowledge.

Q: What is your fondest memory at CCAD?

Staying up late and working with other students. Hanging out late at night when everyone is really goofy is always a lot of fun.

Q: What will you miss the most about CCAD?

An environment where anything is possible. At school, you can do anything.

Q: What’s your ultimate dream job or goal?

My dream job right now would be to work at Fuseproject, which is the firm that Yves Behar owns.

Q. As a soon-to-be-alum, how do you hope to impact the next group of CCAD students?

I’m hoping that some of the things I worked on this year will last, like the Industrial Design Student Collective. Hopefully that can flourish.

Casi is from North Canton, OH, and attended Hoover High School.

Tags: , , , , , ,