A Field Trip to Paris

July 11th, 2014 by Off-Campus Study Blogger

By Abby Staley

Greetings from Paris

Abby in front of the Eiffel Tower

This past week I finished my 3D class and completed my own fastener hat. I had never made a hat so the process was especially fascinating. Since there are only five other students in my class, it’s easy to have one-on-one time with the teacher. I learned how to apply a new dying technique, called ombre, to the fabric involved with making the hat, sinemay.

My teacher was outstanding, very helpful, and patient knowing this was my first time creating a hat and working with this type of fabric. I have already learned so much about the fashion industry just by working with my teachers and hearing about their experiences. Fun fact: My teacher is a millinery designer who designs hats for the Queen!

During my free time, I love going to Hyde Park and sketching my surroundings. It’s so peaceful and beautiful. Also, the shopping here is amazing. I am always finding small boutiques and fabric shops with tons of products that are difficult or impossible to find in the States.

Last week we took a field trip to Paris. We didn’t waste any time and explored all day. When we arrived, we took a boat tour on the River Seine. It was fascinating to go under numerous bridges and see the Notre Dome, the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower. After doing tons of sightseeing, our teacher took us to a store, Makeup Forever, that her friend owned. The discount on product was great!

That evening we found an awesome bakery where everything is made fresh daily. I have never tasted bread and sweets that were so fresh! This quickly became our breakfast stop everyday.

Marie Antoinette's farm

Marie Antoinette’s farm

The second day we went to the Dries Van Noten exhibition. It was dedicated to the very first Belgian designer’s work. We also checked out an antique flea market called Porte de Clignancourt that had some unique pieces.

My favorite day in Paris was by far the day we went to Versailles Rive Gauche. The castle was amazing and the details in every room were unlike anything I had ever seen. My favorite part about Versailles was Marie Antoinette’s farms, the Queen’s own village where she would pretend to be poor. I found this amusing because she had such an amazing house yet she still wanted to act poor.

On the last day, we saw the Jewish quarter where Italian fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli had her first shop. Our group had the opportunity to peek into the Tranoi menswear show at Bourse where we met with some of the designers and talked about their experiences.

When we arrived in Paris I felt a bit overwhelmed by the language barrier, but quickly realized how easy it was to navigate the city and communicate. On the last night, I got to experience the Eiffel Tower at nighttime. It was a perfect way to end my visit to Paris.

Au revoir, Paris—until next time!

Whether for a few weeks or a full semester, CCAD students are studying off campus across the nation and around the world. Read about their experiences here.