Networking, Exploring, and Studying!

August 1st, 2014 by Off-Campus Study Blogger

By Abby Staley

Abby in Bath

Abby in Bath

I have two weeks left in London, which is not long enough! I have learned so much about myself while studying abroad. In many ways, I have matured as person and have gained a bit of confidence and independence by teaching myself how to navigate a city that’s much larger than what I’m used to.

I feel really appreciative of my family and CCAD for helping me navigate and make this amazing opportunity possible. I can’t encourage students enough to look into studying abroad and see if it’s the right fit for you.

This week of classes has been intense because due dates are approaching as the term wraps up. Since I have been focusing on my schoolwork, I haven’t had as much time as I would like to get out and explore. We have two classes left in my portfolio & collection class. I introduced one of my teachers to WGSN, a website that helps designers and companies learn about trends for the upcoming season before they hit mainstream markets. Back at CCAD, we have access to WGSN and are often encouraged to use this website.

A few of my classmates and I were able to reconnect with the designer that we met at the trade show in Paris. Jas, the designer for Jas M.B., met up with us and shared some of his industry experiences. After the meeting, he invited a group of us to have dinner with him at one of his favorite restaurants in Shoreditch. I was amazed at how he took time to get to know each one of us on a personal level. I look forward to keeping in touch with him after I leave London. Meeting and spending time with Jas was one of those experiences that I never would have had if I didn’t choose to study abroad in London. How cool.

Ecology Museum

Ecology Museum

In my history class this week, we went to the Ecology museum. Even though the dead stuffed animals were a bit creepy, I enjoyed it. There were tons of different animals that were either stuffed or consisted of bones—a great reason and place to sketch and find inspiration.

On Saturday, my roommates and I took a day trip to Stonehenge and Bath, two towns outside of London. It took about an hour to get to Stonehenge from central London. I find it fascinating that to this day they still haven’t figure out how the stones got there. It’s an incredibly peaceful place with fields and farms surrounding it. This expanded my view of London and the surrounding area. There is just so much to do in London itself and each place you go is different than the last.

After we left Stonehenge it was off to Bath, which was so beautiful. We went into the Roman baths and learned a lot about the history, area, and the baths. I even took the plunge and drank some of the water from that baths—a bit hot and tasted like minerals. The weather made it a perfect day!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Whether for a few weeks or a full semester, CCAD students are studying off campus across the nation and around the world. Read about their experiences here.