Not Wanting to Say Goodbye

August 5th, 2014 by Off-Campus Study Blogger

By Nick Weiss

Ciao!

Professor helping student in class

Professor helping student in class

So, I thought I’d write up a post about Florence that isn’t just from my perspective, but from the perspectives of some of my awesome friends here (with their permission, of course!). We’ve all been very busy with schoolwork and general exploration. Some of my friends have been able to travel around a bit and see some amazing places like Rome, Venice, and Sienna, while others have ventured outside of Italy to visit places like Berlin and Barcelona. Enjoy….

Orlando, University of Michigan
“Seeing how this has been my first time outside of the states, I was equally excited and concerned about what my travels would entail. After spending nearly a month in this beautiful city, any worries I previously had are completely gone. Being immersed in the city and art of Florence has been one of the highlights of my life. From seeing Michaelango’s unfinished marble sculptures in the Academia and viewing the gorgeous wax anatomy collection at La Specola, to long walks across the Arno, this city as provided me with an immense amount of inspiration and knowledge to assist me in my further artistic endeavors. The people have been just as amazing. I have met an incredible group of students with exceptional skill and artistic determination.”

Krista, Ringling College of Art & Design
“My experience in Florence has changed the way I see the world and the way I want to interact with it. I’d never been outside the country before, so leaving the continent was a big deal. It’s opened my mind to all that you can see and accomplish if you want it enough. The short amount of time spent here has influenced my new thoughts on how I want to live my life. I want to experience things and try new things that scare and challenge me. It’s made me realize the importance of enjoying every day to the fullest. I’ve learned that my environment largely affects what I create. SACI has allowed me to feel freer with what I’m creating because I’m more focused on making what I want to make, instead of what I think I should be making. I’ve discovered my love for screen printing and for trying new things. I’ve definitely learned a lot here, but I feel that once I return home, I’ll reflect and realize how much this experience has affected me.”

Kitchen and social area of apartment

Kitchen and social area of apartment

Lizzie, University of Michigan
“Before coming to Florence, I knew I was going to have an eye-opening experience where I would learn anything and everything about my surroundings. Yet, I still managed to underestimate how much I would grow and learn in such a short period of time. My favorite thing about this experience thus far would have to be the black and white photography class I’m taking. I was expecting to gain a basic understanding of photography from this course, but now with only a week left, I can’t believe how much I have been exposed to and what the photography world has to offer. It has completely changed the way I interpret this medium and that is a priceless feeling.”

We’ve all had AMAZING experiences here in Italy! I cannot even begin to believe that in less than one week, I’ll be returning to the States. It’s going to be tough to say goodbye to all of my amazing new friends and loved faculty. The experiences that I’ve had are second to none and I can’t wait for the day that I’ll return to Firenze!

One of the things that I’ll miss here in Italy will be my living accommodations. I’ve had the amazing pleasure of living in an apartment in downtown Florence. My apartment was newly remodeled and had many modern features—we were spoiled this past month! I lived on Via dei Castellani, right behind the Uffizi Gallery and across the street from both Museo Galileo and above the Fiume Arno—what a sight that was!

Well, until we may meet again, Firenze—Arrivederci! Ti amo!
Ciao!

Whether for a few weeks or a full semester, CCAD students are studying off campus across the nation and around the world. Read about their experiences here.