Student Affairs Mission & Core Values
The Student Affairs department at Columbus College of Art and Design supports and compliments the institutional mission to foster an educational community of applied, creative thinkers. The specialized role that Student Affairs fulfills is to help students reach their full potential by defining and achieving their learning, development, and professional goals; by establishing and supporting creative and inclusive learning environments; and by providing opportunities for students to develop memorable experiences and connections at CCAD. The purpose of these efforts is to lead students to become well-rounded and engaged participants in their communities.
- The academic mission is central. The academic mission of the college holds preeminence among all other functions or activities. The work we do in Student Affairs must support and compliment the learning that occurs in the classroom.
- Student Affairs plays a vital educational role. The primary role of Student Affairs is to help students develop holistically in areas outside of the traditional academic curriculum, as well as to help educate the campus community about the needs of college students and effective methods for furthering their growth and development.
- We advocate for students. Student Affairs plays a central role on campus in promoting and advocating for students’ needs and desires in areas that further their learning, development, and enjoyment of the college experience.
- Diversity enriches the learning environment. The diversity represented on campus enriches our community. We must work diligently to provide a fair, safe, and equitable environment for all where differences are appreciated and where opportunities are provided to further one’s own understanding of diversity.
- Students are adults. Students are adults and should be treated as such. This includes allowing them the autonomy to make decisions, as well as holding them responsible for their behavior and choices.
- Research guides our work. Research, theory, and assessment provide essential information to support and improve all the programs and services we provide.
- Professional development is essential. As Student Affairs professionals, we must remain current in our fields and continue improving our capacities to provide quality services to our students.
- We will act ethically. We must demonstrate integrity by ensuring that our conduct is synonymous with our values, and our decisions must be made and implemented with care and concern for all stakeholders. We will encourage students to do the same.
- Excellence is expected. We will not settle for mediocrity. Students desire and deserve quality programs and services through Student Affairs, and we must work hard to understand and meet those expectations.