Student Health Insurance
CCAD’s student health insurance plan provides convenient and cost-effective health care for full-time CCAD students.
If you are enrolled full-time at CCAD, you are automatically enrolled in the plan. You should receive a plan brochure by mail during the summer.
If you already have health insurance and don’t need the CCAD plan, please see “Waiving Coverage” below.
What Is Covered?
The plan’s benefits include:
- One of the country’s largest provider networks (Cigna PPO)
- $100 annual deductible
- 90% coverage from providers in the Cigna network after deductible is paid
- $6,350 maximum annual out-of-pocket expense within network
- No maximum benefit
- Preventive care coverage (100% with no deductible). This includes contraceptives and all the immunizations required by CCAD. Download a full list of preventive services (PDF).
- Prescription coverage (90% within network)
- Mental health coverage (90% within network)
- Vision discount program
- 24/7 nurse hotline
- Coverage for dependents is available.
For details, go to www.chpstudent.com, choose “Columbus College of Art & Design” from the drop-down list, and follow the link for the current benefits brochure. These brochures are mailed to students during the summer and are also available at One-Stop Student Services.
What Isn’t Covered?
The plan does not cover:
- Dental work (unless the problem is from an injury)
- Vision care (unless the problem is from an injury; however, the plan does offer a discount on eye exams, contact lenses, and glasses)
- Elective surgery
- Intentionally self-inflicted injuries
- Some preventive medicines or vaccines
For a complete list, see “Exclusions” in the current benefits brochure.
How to Use the Plan
Once you are enrolled in the plan, you need to download your personalized insurance card at www.chpstudent.com or pick it up the CCAD Student Affairs office.
To use your insurance, you must show your insurance card and a current photo ID to your healthcare provider.
How Much Do I Have to Pay?
You don’t have to pay anything for most preventive health services.
But for other kinds of health care, you first pay $100 for the deductible, and then you pay 10% of all remaining costs for providers in the Cigna network (30% for out-of-network providers) until you have spent $6,350 ($12,700 for out-of-network providers). After that, the plan pays for all covered expenses.
There are several convenient clinics near campus. Ohio Health Primary Care at 500 East Main Street (614.566.9933; capital-primary-care.com) is the closest comprehensive one. They can usually make same-day appointments for CCAD students. To get an appointment, just call them and tell them you are a CCAD student.
If you already have health coverage and don’t need the CCAD student plan, you can ask to drop (“waive”) it.
Make sure you have your current non-CCAD health insurance ID card.
- Go to www.chpstudent.com.
- Select “Columbus College of Art and Design” from the list of institutions.
- Click the “Waiver” tab and follow the links.
- Write down the confirmation number that you get at the end of the process, in case you are asked to confirm your waiver request later.
Please note: there is a deadline each semester for when this has to be done. To find the deadline, check the calendar in your CCAD Student Handbook or look under the “Waiver” tab at www.chpstudent.com.
Waiver requests must be done online (they can’t be made by phone, email, or letter.)
Waiver requests only last until the end of the summer after you make them. (After that, if you enroll in classes full time again and still don’t want the CCAD health coverage, you have to make another waiver request.)
Contact: Student Affairs | 614.222.4044 | email