Technology Buyer's Guide
Selecting a computer, software, and other accessories represent a big investment, and it is important to understand that the technology needs of an artist or designer are very different from those in other professions.
Use the menu items to the left to learn more about shopping for computers, hard drives, accessories, software and digital cameras. This information is provided to help you save money and get the computing equipment and software that best fits your needs.
The CCAD Supply Store offers a special discount on one of the key application suites used in virtually all areas of the college, Adobe Creative Suite 6.0 Design Premium. Full-time CCAD students who are currently enrolled can purchase the package for $350.00—much less than the standard education price available from education resellers.
(Freshmen students are required to have CS6.0 Design Premium. CCAD Classrooms and Labs will use CS6.0 applications for the upcoming year.)
This package includes:
- Photoshop CS6.0 Extended (digital imaging)
- InDesign CS6.0 (page layout)
- Illustrator CS6.0 (vector graphics)
- Dreamweaver CS6.0 (Web design)
- Flash CS6.0 Professional (interactive design)
- Fireworks CS6.0 (Web graphics)
- Acrobat Pro (create PDF files)
- and more, including professional fonts (which are used in our classrooms)
Free Anti-Virus Tools
We recommend that everyone install an Anti-Virus tools on your computer — both Windows and Macintosh users. A number of good packages are available, but we like those that are simple Anti-VIrus applications, rather than the complex 'comprehensive security solutions' you may also find. We don't recommend a particular brand or product, but can provide links to some good free tools you may want to try.
- For Windows, Microsoft Security Essentials (Free)
- For Macintosh, Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (Free)
Information Technology Contact: 614.222.6174
February 25, 2011