Faculty Computing Initiative
Originally started in 2007, the Faculty Computing Initiative offers full-time CCAD faculty members a choice of laptop or desktop computer (Windows or Macintosh) to support teaching and learning efforts.
Faculty computing program participants are eligible to receive a new computer every three to four years. When eligible, faculty may choose between four pre-configured systems:
- Macintosh or Windows Laptop
- 2013 system configuration: 15-inch display, quad-core processor, 8GB Memory, Dedicated Video, 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, carrying case, security cable, spare power supply, mouse, and dedicated backup drive.
- Windows or Macintosh Desktop
- 2013 system configuration: a 21.5-inch or greater display, quad-core processor, 8GB Memory, Dedicated Video, 500GB or larger Hard Drive, keyboard, mouse, and dedicated backup drive.
- Desktop systems must remain on campus, so if you need the ability to take a computer home, please select a laptop.
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer custom configurations.
In addition to a three to four year hardware replacement schedule, the software on your system will be updated at the end of each academic year. This allows you to have advance access to the software that will be used in the classrooms for the following academic year.
Your system includes a dedicated backup drive—get in the habit of connecting this drive and backing up your files on a regular basis. In the case of equipment failure, damage, or theft, we can reinstall the applications. We will not be able to restore your files without the backup. For that reason, don't carry your backup drive in the same bag as your laptop or store it next to your desktop system. You don't want a roof leak or dropped bag to destroy both the computer and your backup.
FCI laptios will include:
- Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) or Macintosh OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- Adobe CS6 Design Premium (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro, Acrobat Pro) [CS6 will continue to be used in classrooms and labs on campus for the 2013-2014 Academic Year.]
- Microsoft Office 2010 (Windows) or Office 2011 (Macintosh)
- Corel Painter 12
- Microsoft Photo Gallery and Movie Maker (Windows) or Apple iLife '11, including iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and more (Macintosh)
- Google Sketchup
- Utilities: disc-burning, Wacom drivers, file compression/decompression
- CCAD fonts
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera
- Plug-ins and media players: Flash, Shockwave, RealPlayer, SilverLight, etc.
These applications match those installed on standard classroom systems across campus for the 2013-2014 Academic Year.
FCI desktop computers are loaded with the same software set included on campus lab computers.
Optional Software: Adobe Production Premium CS6, AutoDesk Suites, and SolidWorks
We have a limited number of these titles available for installation on faculty laptops. All installations will have to be approved by department chairs and/or deans. Please check for approval with that party before scheduling installation with the IT Help Desk.
Specialty Software: other applications you may want that are not included
In order to provide more options for faculty and better oversight for division deans, no other software will be supplied or installed. Instead, faculty members interested in specialty applications should submit a request to your dean for reimbursement to purchase your own personal educator’s copy of the application.
What is the Process?
Here's what you should do:
- Check with your division dean for permission in advance
- Purchase an education license of the software in your name. This software belongs to you, not the institution.
- Provide a copy of your receipt to your division dean, who will process a reimbursement.
Make sure to purchase at education discount
CCAD Supply Store 614.222.3253
Special discounts for CCAD students and faculty on select software
Academic Superstore 1.800.817.2347
Mac & Windows software and peripherals
Creation Engine 1.800.817.2347
Mac & Windows software
Mac & Windows software
The IT Help Desk will be happy to help if you would like assistance installing your software.
Here are some online resources you may find useful.
- Windows 7
Annual Software Updates
Each year, in May and June, all faculty laptops will have updated software installed to match the applications and versions that will be used in the classrooms for the following academic year. Faculty desktop systems will be reimaged each August, as classroom systems are being prepared for the start of the new year.
In some situations, this process may require erasing the entire hard drive. Therfore, you should always make sure to have a current backup before bringing your system in for the new software installation. Ask the IT Help Desk team for assistance if you're unsure about your backup. You should also be prepared to reinstall any additional software you may have added to your computer as well as printers, peripherals, configurations, settings, etc.
We will provide a few loaner laptops for situations when a faculty member’s computer needs service. These are reserved for temporary use by full-time faculty members when an FCI laptop must be in for service for more than 24 hours.
Faculty Computing Program FAQ
Can I request a custom configuration?
Unfortunately, custom configurations are not offered. The only way we can deliver these systems on time and within the budget limitations is to standardize the systems.
What happens to the old equipment? Can I buy ____?
This is the most common question we get. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Some retired systems will be retained as loaners, some may be used for parts. The rest will be disposed of along with classroom systems.
Information Technology Contact: 614.222.6174
May 2, 2013