Get Involved with CCAD
Joseph V. Canzani Alumni Award for Excellence
Each year, CCAD invites its alumni to nominate their classmates for the Joseph V. Canzani Alumni Award for Excellence (AAE). It's a way to acknowledge not only the contributions of one very deserving graduate, but also the impact that CCAD alumni have had all over the world.
To nominate the alum you think is most worthy of the award, use our online form (during the time period noted below). AAE nominees must have graduated from CCAD and must have not previously received the award. Finalists are chosen for the excellence of their work and for their exemplification of CCAD's ideals. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
- Feb. 4, nominations open
- March 1, last day to submit nominations
- March 14, nominee biographies are posted on the CCAD website
- March 15–30, polls are open for alumni voting
- Use the online form to vote, please one vote per person, must be a CCAD alum to vote.
- April, nomination commitee meets
- April, nominators and nominee are informed regarding finalist selections
- October, award is presented at an event on campus
- October, exhibition of winners work opens in CCAD's Acock Gallery
Alumni online voting accounts for 25% of the AAE decision-making process. The nomination committee's collective input accounts for the remaining 75%. (The nomination committee includes academic deans, the vice president for Academic Affairs, Advancement staff, and previous AAE award winners.) The committee makes its recommendation based on the original nomination forms, nominee biographies, and support materials.
- Nominees are scored by the committee based on the following criteria:
- Nominee exemplifies the artistic excellence of the CCAD creative community.
- Nominee and his/her work have had significant impact on the everyday life of people/communities.
- Nominee’s work has had significant impact in their field.
2012 Dan Scanlon ('98) Illustration
2011 Nathan Greno ('96) Illustration
2010 Rosanne Percivalle (’80) Illustration
2009 Aaron Szymanski ('91) Industrial Design
2008 Joan Hall (’74) Fine Arts
2007 Ron Tsang ('83) Industrial Design
2006 Jeff Link ('69) Advertising & Graphic Design (awarded posthumously)
2003 William "BJ" Van de Velde ('61) Advertising & Graphic Design
2002 Charles O'Connor ('62) Industrial Design
2001 Dean Mitchell ('80) Illustration
2000 Edmund Kuehn ('38) Fine Arts
1999 Wucius Wong (‘65)
1994 Dean Mitchell ('80) Illustration
1994 James C. Lutz ('78) Advertising & Graphic Design
1994 Linzy Randolph
1993 Mary Lou Alpert ('56-60)
1992 Ruth Anne Johnson, (‘65 – ‘70) Illustration
1992 Chris Snell ('72) Advertising & Graphic Design
1991 Daniel Thomas Chrzanowski ('70) Illustration
1991 George Gaadt ('66) Illustration
1991 Dean Kette ('59)
1991 George Kinney
1991 Ann Rothan ('92) Fine Arts
1990 Arthur Klemushin ('66) Illustration
1990 Doug Anderson ('42) Illustration
1990 Ming Fay ('65) Industrial Design
1990 James F. Lutz ('78) Advertising & Graphic Design
1990 Beverly Jane Niffenegger ('77) Advertising & Graphic Design
1990 Marcia Tabler ('74) Retail Advertising
1989 Kenneth Batista ('75) Fine Arts
1989 Robert Bender ('66) Advertising & Graphic Design
1989 George Radway ('38) Fine Arts
1989 Clyde Singer ('34)
1989 Wucius Wong ('65)
1988 Stanley Ray Corfman ('60) Advertising & Graphic Design
1988 James Grimes ('63) Industrial Design
1988 Margaret Lynn ('35)
1988 Thomas O'Donnell ('55)
1988 Jack Shinn ('42) Fine Arts
1988 Marilyn Skeffington ('69) Advertising & Graphic Design
1987 Frank Hoffelt
1987 Dorothy Neill ('37)
1987 Charles O'Connor ('62) Industrial Design
1987 Bernard Stockwell ('48) Industrial Design
1987 B. J. Van de Velde ('61) Advertising & Graphic Design
1982 Jerry McDaniel ('57) Illustration
* Beginning in 1999, honorees received the Joseph V. Canzani Alumni Award for Excellence. Between 1987 and 1994, honorees received the CCAD Alumni Award.