Updating your preferred name

CCAD recognizes that students may prefer to be addressed by a name other than their legal name for a variety of reasons. A preferred first name is a name that you choose to use in place of your legal first name on certain college-related records or documents. You might think of a preferred name as the name you are called in day-to-day life.


GoStudio, GoMail, Teams, and Microsoft 365 Systems

Within Self Service, the preferred first name is known as “Display Name.” Self Service, GoStudio, GoMail and Microsoft 365 systems will use the display name on course rosters, grade reports, and your schedule. To change your display name, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your Self Service account at: https://ss.ccad.edu/selfserv
  2. Click on the “My Profile” tab and select “Personal Information,” then select “Gender Identity Information”
  3. Select “Edit” to modify the Display Name
  4. Select “Save” to submit the form with your preferred name in the Display Name field

Display Name change requests go to the Registrar and students will receive a confirmation email from the Registrar's Office upon approval. Once approved, it may take up to 72 hours before you see changes.

CCAD Student ID

Current students may have their CCAD Student ID card changed to include their preferred first name. To change your Student ID, follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Self Service Display Name change process described above
  2. Print a copy of the approval email that you receive from the Registrar’s Office
  3. Bring the approval email to the CCAD Security Office to request a new Student ID at no additional cost


Gender identity and pronouns

Current students can identify their gender identity with the college via the Gender Identity Information section on Self Service. To change your gender identity information, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your Self Service account at https://ss.ccad.edu/selfserv
  2. Click on My Profile tab, select Personal Information, then select Gender Identity Information
  3. Select “Edit” to modify Gender Identity
  4. Select “Save” to submit the form with your chosen gender identity selected

Gender identity forms will be reviewed by the Registrar. Once approved, it will appear in the student Gender Identity section of the Self Service student profile only. The college reserves the right to remove a gender identity if it is used inappropriately and/or for misrepresentation. Identifying a gender identity is optional. If you do not completed a Gender Identity Form, your gender identity will be listed the same as your gender (i.e., birth sex).

Students may notify CCAD about preferred gender pronouns by contacting the Registrar, Michele Kibler, at mkibler@ccad.edu or by making an appointment through the front desk of the Registrar's Office. Upon request, the Registrar will notify faculty members about a student’s pronouns that correspond with their gender identity.


If I change my preferred first name in Self Service will it automatically change in GoStudio and GoMail?


Can I use different preferred first names in each system?

No. Your preferred name will be the same in each system.

Can my preferred first name be anything I want?

There are limits to what you may select as a preferred first name. Character limits and character restrictions are some examples. Other restrictions are set by the Registrar’s Office. Requesting a preferred first name can only be done by the individual who will be using the preferred name. Examples of preferred first names that will not be approved include:

  • Names containing offensive or inappropriate language as deemed by the Registrar
  • Names used for the purpose of misrepresentation

How often can I change my preferred name?

To prevent misunderstandings or misidentification, a preferred name change may be made only once per academic year. Identifying a preferred name is an important decision that impacts how you will be regarded on campus and should be made with careful consideration.

Where will my preferred name be used?

The preferred first name (aka, “display name” in Self Service) will show up on class rosters, advising reports for advisors, and some internal pages of Self Service and GoStudio. It will not show up on financial aid or billing statements, academic plans, diplomas, transcripts, or official enrollment or degree verifications.

See the Preferred Name vs Legal Name Summary for a detailed breakdown of where the preferred name and legal name are used on specific college systems, documents, and records.

Can I use my preferred first name on my CCAD Student ID?

Yes. The first step is to change your “display name” within Self Service. Print a copy of the approval email that you receive from the Registrar and bring it to the Security Office in the Administration Building. Security will provide a new ID to match your preferred name at no additional charge.

How do I change my legal name with the college?

Students need to furnish the college with legal documents verifying the change of name, such as a Social Security card, marriage certificate, or driver’s license. Contact the Registrar’s Office for more details.