Grants, Loans & More


Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. If you need financial aid, the programs described below are available for your application. If they are awarded, they can be incorporated into your financial aid package by CCAD’s Financial Aid Office.

Federal Pell Grant

To qualify for a Pell Grant, you must be enrolled and pursuing a degree, and you must demonstrate exceptional financial need. You can apply by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Similar to the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant awards are determined by CCAD’s Financial Aid Office after a review of each student’s FAFSA.

State Grants

Many states provide need-based educational grants to their residents. Your eligibility is determined by completing your FAFSA, according to deadlines established by your state. For example, the Ohio College Opportunity Grant Program provides need-based tuition assistance to Ohio residents in undergraduate programs at eligible institutions.


Loans are designed to help you pay for tuition, books and living expenses. Loans must be repaid after graduation and may differ in interest rates.

Federal Perkins Loan

Federal Perkins Loans are low-interest, long-term loans made through the CCAD Financial Aid Office to undergraduate students with financial need. Perkins Loans are guaranteed by the federal government and have an initial nine-month grace period before repayment begins. The grace period starts when your enrollment at CCAD drops below half-time or you leave the college. The Perkins Loan Program offers unique deferment and cancellation benefits based on borrower situations and employment. To sign your Federal Perkins Loan Promissory Note, click here.

Federal Direct Student Loan

The Federal Family Education Loan program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, provides educational loans through private lenders. It encompasses Direct Loans for students and PLUS Loans for parents and graduate students. Loans may be subsidized (need based) or unsubsidized (not need based). The federal government pays the interest on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled at least half-time and during the six-month grace period after the student graduates or ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. Unsubsidized loan borrowers are responsible for interest that accrues from the time the loan funds disburse. The CCAD Financial Aid Office recommends an amount to be borrowed based on a student’s need as demonstrated in the FAFSA. To apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan, click here.

PLUS Loan for Graduate Students

Graduate students are also eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program. The terms and conditions applicable to Parent PLUS Loans also apply to Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan)

Parents with an eligible credit history can take out a PLUS Loan to help pay for undergraduate education expenses for their dependent children who are enrolled at least half-time at CCAD. Parents must submit a PLUS Loan application, available from CCAD’s Financial Aid Office. After CCAD completes its portion of the application, it is sent to the Department of Education for evaluation. To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, click here.

Alternative Student Loan

Private lenders can provide so-called alternative loans to fill gaps between students’ financial aid packages and their total educational costs. These loans can be used for more than just tuition, including expenses such as room and board, travel, study abroad, computers and art supplies. Applicants must have an established, positive credit score. A student with no credit will usually need a cosigner. To apply for an Alternative Loan, click here.

Changes to Loans

To cancel or make changes to your Federal Direct Student or PLUS loan, or to borrow additional funds for the current year, click here.

Entrance Interview/Counseling

An entrance interview/counseling is mandatory for students who take out a federal loan and are graduating or withdrawing. Visit to complete your entrance interview/counseling to help you plan repayment of your student loans.

Other Options & Resources

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment through the Federal College Work-Study Program is part of many CCAD students’ financial aid packages. Students may work up to 15 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours per week during summer and holiday breaks. The CCAD Financial Aid Office will let you know if you qualify.

Veterans Benefits

CCAD is approved by the State Approving Agency and the Veterans Administration for educational benefits. Individuals qualifying for veterans’ benefits must submit a certificate of eligibility or letter of authorization from the Veterans Administration at the time of or prior to registration. Students should first be accepted to the college before applying for benefits at the Veterans Administration office.

For more information, visit our Veterans Benefits page.